Can you move a a task on a business project to a software project?

Emily Dunn November 22, 2021

Hi!

Is it possible to create a task in a business project and then move or copy it to a JIRA software project (and follow it to completion)?

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2021

Hi Emily - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, you can create a business project issue and then Move it to another project type. Or you can use Automation for Jira and copy/clone it another project. 

Emily Dunn November 23, 2021

@John Funk thanks so much for the warm welcome!

When I attempt to move an issue either from a business project to a software project (or vice versa), I only see other business projects (or software projects) in the destination project dropdown. Am I missing something? Or is it, perhaps, a system/global setting that needs to be adjusted?

Thank you!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 23, 2021

Can you share a screenshot?

Do you have Browse Project permissions on the other projects? 

Emily Dunn November 23, 2021

@John Funk - I am so sorry. I've got it sorted now. Moving too fast and not paying attention. :( 

Thank you for your help!

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2021

You are welcome - glad you got it working!

Jose Baerga March 22, 2022

@Emily Dunn , How did you solve this issue? 
Thanks!

Emily Dunn March 22, 2022

@Jose Baerga - Hi!

1. In the business project issue, click on the actions menu ( . . .) in the upper-right corner, then click Move.
  2. In the New Project drop-down, either start typing the name of software project. [This is where I messed up and moved to fast. I didn't realize I could start typing in the name of the software project.]
  3. Once you locate it, click on the name.
  4. Change the issue type, if needed.
  5. Click Next.
  6. On the Map Status page, adjust the status of the new task.
  7. Click Next.
  8. On the Update fields page, add any information/details that may be needed.
  9. Click Next.
  10. On the Confirm changes page, review all of the details you entered.
  11. Click Confirm.

I assume that you will need to have some level of permissions [Admin or Product Manager or other] to be able to move the issue from one board or another.

I hope that helps!

Like John Funk likes this
Jose Baerga March 22, 2022

@Emily Dunn Thank you! I found out what the problem was. I needed to remove it from the parent and convert it into its own issue. W/O that step, the "move" option didn't include the project.

Thank you for including the steps!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events