Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

how can I edit a label name

I want to change a label name for QA_Bug to QA_Failure. I don't want both labels to exist as dropdown selections.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hi @Steve Hooczko ,

Thanks for posting.

I think you  can delete the label by removing the label from all the issues in that instance. Once it is removed from all issues, it will no longer be seen when browsing a labels. Please check this KB - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-delete-labels-in-jira-applications-297667646.html.

Once the label is removed completely then it would not be available any more in drop down. Followed by, you can add your preferred label.

Please accept the answer if it solves your query else respond and allow others to share input.

Cheers

Suvradip

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hello @Steve Hooczko 

You cannot edit a Label. 

You will have to create a new Label named "QA_Failure" and apply it to all the issues that currently have the label "QA_Bug". Then you can remove the "QA_Bug" Label from those same issues.

Both of those tasks can be done using the Issue Search and Bulk Change features.

Can I completely delete the old label or will it still show up in the label dropdown listing?

Is it possible to delete a label

@Rajasekar 

A value can be deleted from the Labels field in issues.

If the value is deleted from all issues in which it was used, then it should no longer show up in the suggestion lists.

There is not a master list of all Labels where you can select a Label value, delete it, and have that result in removal of the value from all issues.

Can I do a find and replace of a label across projects (e.g. spelling error)?

Hi @Steve Hooczko ,

You basically have two options to find and replace a label, one is a bit cumbersome while the other includes installing an app.

First, the cumbersome way would be to do a search for all issues with the label you want to remove, then bulk edit these issues to add the correct spelling. Finally, you bulk edit the same issues again, this time removing the old spelling. 

The other option is using an app like Project Labels, which allows you to see all labels on your instance or in a project in one list. You can then simply edit the label in question and the app will take care of updating all affected issues. It's pretty much as easy as that.

Hope that helps,
 Oliver

Full disclosure: I work for Polymetis Apps, the Marketplace Partner behind Project Labels. Let me know if you need any help getting started or have any questions or feedback.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Upcoming changes to epic fields in company-managed projects

👋 Hi there Jira Community! A few months ago we shared with you plans around renaming epics in your company-managed projects. As part of these changes, we highlighted upcoming changes to epics on...

14,787 views 37 48
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you