find parents which have children created later than a specific date

Thomas Liebeskind July 3, 2019

Hi experts,

we have the following structure in our JIRA:
Customer Feature
   System Item
      Entity Item
          Competence Area

I try to find all Customer Features, which are in status = "Approved for Dev" and have children that have been created later than 16th of June 2019

Help really would be appreciated here - thanks!

BR Thomas

2 answers

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 8, 2019

Hello Thomas,

Welcome to Atlassian community!

Per your description, I understand you have Competence Area under system and Entity items, and these both types under Customer Feature.

Since JIRA only accept two hierarchy levels (Task -> Sub-task), could you please let us know how you have configured your JIRA to have three hierarchies? Is Customer Feature an Epic Issue type or have you used any apps to add new hierarchical levels?

Unfortunately, JQL queries do not have the functionality to return parent issues based on details of their sub-task issues, however, there are some apps that can help you achieve this functionality, like JQL Search Extensions.

Using the mentioned app, you can search from parents based on Sub-tasks using the parentOfQuery parameter:

issuetype = "Customer Feature" and status = "Approved for Dev" and parentOfQuery = "createdDate > 2019/06/16"

For more information about this app functionalities, you can check this documentation.

P.S: I can not confirm if the query above will work in your case if are using another app to create a new hierarchy level, but it should work for Task -> Sub-task links. For Epic links, you can use epicOfQuery.

Let me know if you have questions.

Thomas Liebeskind July 8, 2019

Hi Goncalves,

thank you very much for your answer. For some reason it doesn't work since our JIRA treats "parentofQuery" as a field and complains that this field is not available.

However, I can't exactly tell you how our JIRA has been configured since it has been done by an external company. We have created new Issue Types but how they are implemented I don't know - sorry.

BR Thomas

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2019

Hello Thomas,

Have you installed the JQL Search Extensions app to test it? Just make sure it is properly installed since the parentOfQuery is not a native functionality from JIRA.

0 votes
Arkadiusz Głowacki July 9, 2019

Hi Thomas, this looks like you did not install the JQL Extensions, which Jira version are you using? Jira Cloud or Jira Server?

Suggest an answer