Your opinion on this use of JIRA

Deleted user July 16, 2019

Hi guys,

At work, we have a process where, whenever we change the status of a JIRA ticket, we need to add a comment with this:

What has happened
What needs to happen next

I find this quite heavy. Also, I find that this buries important information under heaps of comments, when sometimes we should just update the description of the ticket.

Your toughts ?

Best regards,
Karl.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sebastian Brudziński
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 16, 2019

Hello @[deleted]

we have a similar policy in our company. Whenever an issue is assigned to another person, a small comment should be added with an explanation for the assignment. I guess whether this makes sense depends on how familar the team members are with the workflow and the exact tasks they are supposed to execute. For example, when I'm assigned a ticket that has just been moved to the "reviews" status, I know I'm supposed to go to our code review tool and do a review of the changes. Sometimes though, the statuses may not be that obvious, and therefore a task that someone needs to perform may not be clear.

For repetitive tasks, we also use an app that we have developed - Multiple Checklists for Jira. We use it for cases like regression testing, release steps, etc. This helps ensure we don't miss anything and reduces the number of commets we make in the ticket, since people simply check off the things they have already done.

Best,
Sebastian

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2019

I make use of a custom text field “latest status” that gets over written on a regular basis so that I can show the died o. Dashboards for our weekly status meetings for on project. This overcomes (?) the issue of important info buried in comments. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events