Wiki Markup Macros Don't Seem to be Working

Nick Lara October 29, 2018

Hi, community!

We've recently upgraded to the Cloud version of Jira Software. We noticed that the Wiki Markup macros (i.e. {norformat} or h3.) don't seem to be working. I've verified the following

• The add-on is enabled
  • All of the the modules are enabled
  • The fields all have the Renderer set to the Wiki Renderer

Typing the macros out just displays plain text. Does anyone have a solution to this or know if this is a known issue?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2018

Hi Nick,

Just for us to better understand and help you with this issue, can you please let us know where the wiki markup is not working?
I've tested and it works on description and comments on a ticket.
Did you use the options on the toolbox?

Screenshot 2018-10-30_16-29-38.png

Regards,
Angélica

Nick Lara October 30, 2018

The options on the toolbox do work, but the macros do not.

For example, when editing a description on a story, if I type h3. Section 1, I expect the macro to automatically format the text with the "Heading 3" style. Instead, plaintext remains even after clicking "Save".

Does that make sense?

Nick Lara October 30, 2018

@Angélica Luz I've updated the issue title to more accurately depict the issue I'm reporting.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2018

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the details.
The new issue view uses markdown formatting now and not wiki markup.
You can find more information here: New Atlassian editor

"The editor in the new issue view uses markdown rather than wiki markup. Right now, if you've added wiki markup in the old editor, we'll render it correctly in the new issue view. As we continue to roll out the new issue view and new editor, wiki markup support will be phased out and eventually removed in favor of markdown"

If you have any other question, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Nick Lara November 1, 2018

@Angélica Luz Thank you for the response!

Is there a way to see all of the macros for this new markdown formatting? I see there are common ones listed on the page you linked, but I'd like to see them all if possible.

Nick Lara November 1, 2018

For example, one thing particularly important to my team is {noformat}, which I can imagine is a rarely used macro. What would be the new macro equivalent to {noformat}?

Nick Lara November 5, 2018

@Angélica Luz Any ideas on the above question?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
November 5, 2018

Hi Nick,

You can find all macros on the link below:

- https://www.markdownguide.org/basic-syntax

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

Nick Lara November 5, 2018

@Angélica Luz That does help quite a bit!

I don't see anything on there that matches what {norformat} does. Am I missing something or is there not a macro that does something similar?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2018

Hi Nick,

What removes the format of a text is backslash (\):

https://www.markdownguide.org/basic-syntax#escaping-characters

It will not be the same as it was on the old view, but it will remove the format of the text.

Regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer