What is the difference between Parent Link and Initiative Link ?

david.tieman June 24, 2020

Trying to understand the best use of these 2 fields for Bulk Changes.  When changing EPICs to be linked to an Initiative, which field, Parent Link or Initiative Link should be used?  Does it matter between JIRA and/or JIRA Portfolio?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2020

Hello @david.tieman ,

The Parent Link field is the native field used by Jira and Advanced roadmaps to map an issue to an initiative hierarchy level.  If you also have an secondary Initiative Link field this would be a user created custom field or a custom field that was added as part of an add-on app.

Regards,
Earl

Paul Stasiak August 17, 2021

This seems to contradict this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapsserver/linking-issues-to-parent-issues-965567138.html

This article says I can specify my hierarchy and it doesn't just have to be an Initiative.

Which is correct? Initiative only or I can specify my hierarchy?

0 votes
DH December 10, 2021

I'm not familiar with Initiative Link field.

I use Parent Link field to do what you are doing.

This article says I can specify my hierarchy and it doesn't just have to be an Initiative.

Which is correct? Initiative only or I can specify my hierarchy?

You can specify your hierarchy.

For Cloud, it can be any custom hierarchy that you define. Then add the Parent link field to the issue to use it.

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 8.09.32 AM.png

I think adding a hierarchy is similar in server and data center.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events