What are the rules to be able to save a table in a Jira ticket

Camille Puisais July 17, 2019

Hi,

What are the "unacceptable characters" Jira is talking about when trying to save a description with a table and info panels in it ?

Is there a maximum of "all types of" characters for one cell of a tab ? For the whole table ?

Is there any rule about bullet lists in a table which could cause a saving error ?

Currently we have to use the old version of Jira to be able to save our content in our table but soon this won't be possible anymore...

Where are the formatting rules published ?

Regards

2 answers

0 votes
Camille Puisais August 27, 2019

Hi, 

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm also just back from my holidays.

I tried this morning with the steps you gave (new user story, same content, save)

--> no problems for saving !

Maybe it's because the tickets were cloned (the ones not being saved with the new version) ?

I will tell my co-worker to preferably create a new issue instead of cloning one for next time in order to test this.

If the problem persists, I will let you know.

Regards,

Camille

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2019

Welcome back @Camille Puisais ,

This sounds like a plan, let me know if the issue persist and we will further dig into it :) 

Cheers,
Dario

Like Camille Puisais likes this
0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 18, 2019

Hi @Camille Puisais ,

If I understand correctly, you are using Jira Cloud and you are  not able to add tables into issue description in the new issue view. 

If this is correct, then this is actually expected since as mentioned in the the new jira issue view documentation page we have replaced wiki with markdown formatting:

New Atlassian editor

We're also rolling out a new editor as part of the new issue view, with a cleaner look and markdown support. 

And, in the markdown formatting in Jira Cloud documentation page, is explicitly mentioned that tables and emoji's are not available yet:

Tables and emoji aren't supported for everyone just yet, but will be in the next month or so. If you can't add tables in the new issue view just yet, you can click through to the old issue view to add them.

If you want to be updated on the status of this feature, please vote and add yourself as a watcher (after log-into jira.atlassian.com) to the below feature request ticket:

Finally, some more information on this topic is available in the description of the  previous ticket open to track this (that was a bit too generic and has now been closed in order to have the feature tracked in the above one):

I hope this explains. Please let me know if you have further questions on this topic.

Cheers,
Dario

Camille Puisais July 18, 2019

Hi, 

Thanks for your answer.

Actually, I am able to add a table and edit and save it in the new view of Jira, with no error.

However, for a person sitting just next to me, with the exact same project and version of Jira, it is not possible to edit and save a table in a ticket without having the formatting error message. The only difference I see between her table and mine is the lenght of her content in some cells compared to my table which appears to be more basic (no bullet list either in my table for example).

She has to go through the old view has you have mentioned. 

Is there a possibility she didn't get the update yet and I did ?

"Tables and emoji aren't supported for everyone just yet, but will be in the next month or so. If you can't add tables in the new issue view just yet, you can click through to the old issue view to add them."

Camille

Dario B
Atlassian Team
July 18, 2019

Hi @Camille Puisais ,

Can you ask your colleague to check if she is using any of the characters/symbols/emoji's that are specified in the page linked in JRACLOUD-71388 (link below)?

If she is using any of those characters, then this is indeed the known issue tracked in JRACLOUD-71388.

If she is not using any of those characters instead, then further investigation is needed and I can open a support request on your behalf for this. You can also open it yourself by going to: https://support.atlassian.com/contact

Please let me know.

Cheers,
Dario

Hi, 

Well, she does but I do use them too and it works fine for me in my table.

Some colleagues are saying that it might be because of too many characters in the whole description or by cell.

Would it be possible ?

Dario B
Atlassian Team
July 18, 2019

Hi @Camille Puisais ,

I believe we can confirm or exclude this hypothesis if you try to add the exact same text and see if it works for you.

Can you kindly perform this test and let us know how it goes?

Thanks,
Dario

It does not work for me either. I cannot save, an error message is displayed, talking about formatting issues.

The problem is that the error message is not explicit about which element(s) of the text/table/panel is causing the issue...

Dario B
Atlassian Team
July 19, 2019

Hi @Camille Puisais ,

The list of the characters/symbols that can cause this issue should be in the already provided documentation page (below). Did you have any chance to check if any of those characters is in the text you are trying to add?

Camille Puisais July 21, 2019

Yes but what is odd is that i can easily add (and save) the description with some of these symbols whereas my colleague sitting next to me and using the same version of Jira gets the error message... 

Same kind of table in the description except hers is longer (more characters)

Dario B
Atlassian Team
July 23, 2019

@Camille Puisais ,

It is my understanding that if you try to add the same text as your colleague then it does not  work for you as well, and therefore the issue must be with one (or more) specific character in that text or with the length of the text.

Indeed, as you say her description is longer: more characters, more chances to get the 'offending' one in there, or too long to be added.

Therefore, in order to further dig into this issue, please answer the following questions:

1. Are you getting the error  if you try to paste the exact same text of your colleague or not?
  2. Does it work the other way around as well? E.g. what happens if your colleague tries to add some text that you are able to successfully insert in the table? Can she add the same content as well?
  3. How many characters is the  description you are trying to add? 

Cheers,
Dario

Camille Puisais July 24, 2019

Hi, 

Thanks all of you for trying to help.

Yes I get the same error when I try to save the same content on my page.

It works the same way around, if my co-worker erases some of her text, it finally agrees to save.

How many characters in the description : 5271 (not counting the empty spaces) 6220 (counting empty spaces) 323 lines, some in a table, some in panels.

Regards

Camille

Dario B
Atlassian Team
July 24, 2019

Hi @Camille Puisais ,

My pleasure! :) 

I would like to understand what the problem is as much as you and that's why I'd like to get the exact steps you are following (e.g. 1. when adding a comment to an issue add a table 2. In the table header write this 3. in the cell paste this text) as well as the text your colleague is trying to add that is triggering the issue so that I can try to reproduce it locally. 

In case the text cannot be shared in a public place like the community just let me know and I will open a Support Request on your behalf (you can also do it yourself by going to https://support.atlassian.com/contact).

For the rest, just FYI, the characters limit for comments in the old UI was 32767 as mentioned in the below Feature Request: 

Cheers,
Dario

Camille Puisais July 30, 2019

Hi, 

I didn't get the time to answer earlier but today, I tried to insert her content in my description, little by little.

It's really a problem of length in our case as I can add some of her lines with no saving problems but at a certain point, if I had another line to the table (or more text to the description) with so specific characters (same line than the one before), if I try to save, I have the formating error and I cannot save anymore.

Like Dario B likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
August 14, 2019

Hi @Camille Puisais ,

Apologies for late reply, I am just back from vacation.

Since this behavior should be easily reproducible, can you kindly confirm the steps you are following so that I can test the issue on my side and, in case, create a bug ticket for this issue?

From my current understanding the  steps are the below ones (find my doubts/questions among parentheses):

1. In a Jira  instance having the new UI, create a new issue
  2. In the description field add a table with an info panel in it (is this when creating the issue or when editing afterwards?  Also, how many rows/columns? Is it enough to create a table with one row and one column?)
  3. Try to add text to the info panel and see  that after a certain amount of characters you cannot save and an error message regarding "unacceptable characters" is returned.
  4. Switching to the old issue view and adding the exact same text of above step works fine.

Kindly confirm the above steps are correct (and, in case they are, answer the questions added to point #2) or provide more details. 

Cheers,
Dario

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events