Welcome to Jira page for user in continuous loop

Ryan Kjosa December 5, 2017

We are using Jira version 7.5.0 and using Crowd version 2.11.2 to store our users in.  We have a user that had an account set up, but never actually logged in and didn't remember their password.  I set up a new password for them in Crowd, and made sure that it replicated to Jira.  I then tried to log in as that user.  I get a "Welcome to Jira" screen, where I'm asked to choose the language and avatar.  When I click Next on the avatar page, it brings me right back to the choose a language screen.  I've deleted the user and recreated it, as well as try to log on as this user on a different computer, but neither of these help fix the issue.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Ryan

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2017

Hi Ryan,

Can you check the Global Permissions in Jira and make sure that in Application Access there are groups listed there for Jira access, and that the users who are having the problem are in the proper groups?

If the user doesn't have Jira User access then it is known to cause similar looping.

Regards,

Shannon

Ryan Kjosa December 6, 2017

Hello Shannon,

Thank you for your reply.  I can confirm that the user having this problem is in the proper group required for Jira access.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to check Application Access.  When I try to click on that, I get a message saying "The JIRA server could not be contacted. This may be a temporary glitch or the server may be down."  I get an option to refresh, but it keeps coming back to that same error message.  I've looked through the log files, but don't really see anything in terms of any error messages.  I think I may need to schedule some time to where I can restart Jira and see if that fixes this issue.  What do you think?

Thanks,

Ryan

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2017

It could be. Nothing at all is occurring in the atlassian-jira.logs when you are stuck in the loop and also when you try to go to Application access?

Does your user have Jira admin rights in Global Permissions?

Regards,

Shannon

Ryan Kjosa December 6, 2017

In the atlassian-jira-security.log, I see a couple of times where there is a message stating that the user tried to login but they do not have USE permission or weren't found.  They were eventually able to pass the authentication process though.  I looked at the time when this user passed the authentication process, and compared that to the times recorded in the atlassian-jira.log file.  There is nothing in that log file at that time that references this user.   There are some warning messages, but they point to a different object, as well as a different user whose not having any problems.

My user account has Jira admin rights.  However, I can't tell through Global Permissions, as I'm still getting that error message about the Jira server couldn't be contacted - which is either a glitch or server may be down.

Thanks,

Ryan

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
December 7, 2017

Alright, Ryan.

This will need a ticket so we can check through your logs. I'm going to create one now with your email address from here and we'll be in touch with you for the logs.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer