We are getting an automated email from Jira email handler and we don't know why

Navid Mohsenian October 15, 2018

The error is below. Any help will be appreciated. The error below suggests that a resolved ticket cannot be commented, but I have been able to go to the ticket and comment in the ticket.

An error was encountered whilst handling messages from the mail server <our jira mail handler> using the handler "class biz.beag.jira.mailer.handler.EnhancedMailHandler".

The error was:

------------------------

"Attempting to comment on a resolved issue. <issue key>

------------------------

The error and the email that caused the error are attached to this email.

If this is a recurring problem, you may wish to contact a system administrator to check the parameters of your mail fetching service:

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2018

Hello,

Kindly have a look at this thread:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/How-to-comment-on-existing-issue-using-email-handler/qaq-p/309088

The most important part is that the mail handler tries to create a mail under the first user, who has the same email in the from field. Are you sure this user can add comments?

Navid Mohsenian October 16, 2018

Thanks Alexey, when I look at the project permissions in the project where that ticket lives, the permission allows all logged in users to add comments. Please see the screen shot below:

image.png 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2018

There could a workflow property on the Resolved status.

I have examined all states and transitions in the workflow for that ticket and the only property I can see being used is "jira.i18n.title". 

Hi Alexey,

I made some more changes based on your original comments re user permissions to add comments. I invited a larger user base to add comments in that project, and that seems to have fixed the issue. I will be monitoring it. Thanks for your feedback. 

Navid

Navid Mohsenian October 17, 2018

Hi Alexey would you know where the email address for sending error messages is configured. For example if the email handler is sending details of the above error, where is the distribution email address configured. I have been unsuccessful in finding where it has been set up.

Thanks

Navid

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2018

If there is a error on processing a email by a incoming email handler, no message is sent. You can see the error only in the logs.

Navid Mohsenian October 18, 2018

Hi Alexey,

Sorry for not being clear. In the beginning of this thread I posted an error that was mailed out from Jira to a distribution list:

An error was encountered whilst handling messages ...

My question is where is that configured so Jira knows where to email the message to. 

Thanks

Navid

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2018

Do you mean that you received a email with this message? Jira does not email such messages. It must be something setup outside Jira.

Navid Mohsenian October 18, 2018

yes correct that entire message was sent via email to an internal distribution llist. The message is event referencing the ticket key so I am thinking it is coming from Jira. 

Suggest an answer