Users in the Administrator project Role cannot administer project, only JIRA-Admin group members can

motherg December 17, 2012

Hi all,

I've had a good search and haven't found another issue like this, apologies if I've missed something.

We're just migrated from an on-deman to an internally hosted instance of JIRA, all of which has gone well. I'm now taking the time to address our permissions. We've got a group called jira-administrators (no surprises there...) and the Administrator project role.

I want users in the 'Administrator' project role to be able to administer their own project in terms of being able to add other users to other roles (which is exactly what the role description says it will do). But it doesn't work, only users who are in the jira-administrator group have the ability to administer project roles.

This doesn't seem right but I can't see anywhere that I can enable this, it all seems to be set up correctly in the permission schemes. Has anyone got any suggestions?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2012

You need to include this project in the Permission schema of the project.

Add this project role(Administrator) to Administer Projects Permission , then you will get this option.

motherg December 17, 2012

That is how it is set up currently and it does not work.

In the permission scheme I've got the following project roles against the 'Administer Projects' permission:

• Project Role (Administrators)
  • Project Role (Product Manager)
  • Project Role (Project Manager)
  • Project Role (QA Administrator)

No need to comment on our awful role setup either, I'm working on that ;-)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2012

Check that the people who should have admin rights definitely are in the right role in the project

Check that your permission scheme is definitely associated with the right project

I'm also slightly uncertain about your language - you say "only users who are in the jira-administrator group have the ability to administer project roles " which is absolutely correct - only system-administrators can add/remove roles. All your project-administrators can do is add and remove other users from those roles in their projects

(There's nothing particularly wrong with your role setup, although I don't know your business and I'd tend to try to keep the project admins down to just explicitly "admins" - I don't find product managers and QA really know how to run projects in Jira terms)

motherg December 18, 2012

Thanks Nic,

Apologies for the confusing terms, you're right - I got some of them mixed up there, let me try and explain again.

We have a group called jira-administrators (like most people I assume) - they have admin rights to the whole of JIRA. What I want is people in specific roles within a project to be able to administer elements of their projects.

For instance, someone in the Project Role - QA Administrator has the ability to manage project roles (which is set correctly within the permission scheme and that permission scheme is applied to the project). The problem is, there is no link to click on to allow this user to administer the project (I'm assuming this functionality would be accessed by the "Administration" link in the top right?).

Does that help explain things better?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2012

I'm sorry, I didn't explain this well enough, and I think you've not grasped what I was asking. Jira-administrators is clear, that's fine, it's "people within a specific role within a project to be able to administer elements of their projects". I am not clear whether you are asking about administration of roles, or users.

I'll try by example. Pick a user (Bob). Bob is not in the Jira-administrator group. You go into project XYZ and add Bob into the QA-Administrator role.

Bob should now have the right to maintain other users, by adding/removing them in the roles for that project. (Bob may also administrate components, versions and Greenhopper settings etc). Bob does not get the right to change roles or project permissions.

Does that sound right?

Assuming I've got that right, then yes, Bob should now have an admin link. Can you get Bob to go to a project summary (http://yourjira/browse/projectshortcode), make sure the summary tab at the top is selected and then look at the top right of that panel and see if he has the "administrate project" cog?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2012

Good, sorry it took a while to get the information straight in my head.

It does sound like you've got everything set up correctly, so the next step, if possible, is to look at Bob's view and check the admin cog. Make sure Bob is looking at a project he is admin on, of course!

motherg December 19, 2012

The scenario with Bob is exactly what I'm after - I want the QA's and Product Managers (roles) to be able to manage the members in project roles. Their relevant procject roles currently have the permissions to do this but it seems to me like only members of the Jira-Administrators group actually have the ability to change role members.

We're on the same page now 100% - I'm going to do some investigation and I'll get back to you if this doesn't work to see if you have any other ideas, I'm all out of them at the momement.

Sharaddha Madan May 3, 2019

In case you don't see the Add Status button and have full permissions, check for the existing swim lanes. These swim lanes are mapped with multiple status specially the In Progress Swim lane.

Drag and move the required status to the newly created swim lane, it will work !

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2012
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2012

Mmm, useful, but it would be better to fully understand permissions first, especially as this one appears to be a missing permission rather than one that we can't work out why the person has it (which that plugin is really good at!)

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 19, 2012

Thanks Nic. I will add an analyzer to tell you what you should do to have a certain permission :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2012

Ohh, that would be very nice. :-)

Suggest an answer