User email visibility is set to public but still could not see email details

Vyshnavi Bandarupalli July 18, 2019

I am using rest api /rest/api/2/user/assignable/search?project to get users in a project.

I have admin access. I have set the User email visibility to public still I could see only the logged in user email details. 

Is there any other way to fetch user details for a project 

1 answer

0 votes
Aleksandr Zuevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2019

Hi,

New profile visibility control settings are launched which allow users to hide or unhide parts of their Atlassian Account profile (https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/profile-and-visibility). So emails are not visible for users who have not changed default visibility settings.

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2019

@Aleksandr Zuevich ,

I believe @Vyshnavi Bandarupalli  explicitly mentioned that the profile visibility settings is set to public but I am not sure if he is mentioned his profile or the one of the users he is trying to get:

I have set the User email visibility to public

Maybe we can try to reproduce this behavior and see if it's a bug or just working as expected.

Cheers,
Dario

Aleksandr Zuevich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2019

@Dario B , I believe @Vyshnavi Bandarupalli talks about ‘User email visibility’ setting in Jira cloud instance administration (System - General configuration - User email visibility).

Capture.PNG

Like Dario B likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2019

@Vyshnavi Bandarupalli  

I have just tested this and I can confirm it works as documented and configured:

• I can see all the email addresses of the users from my same organization
  • For unmanaged users I can only see the email address if the user set it to public in their profile visibility settings. Otherwise the email is empty

Example:

• Private Profile for unmanaged user (only you and admin):
  {

"self": "https://xxxxxxx.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/user?accountId=55xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxd1e",
    "key": "qwerty",
    "accountId": "55xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxd1e",
    "accountType": "atlassian",
    "name": "qwerty",
    "emailAddress": "",

• Public Profile:
  {
    "self": "https://xxxxxxx.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/user?accountId=55xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxd1e",
    "key": "qwerty",
    "accountId": "55xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxd1e",
    "accountType": "atlassian",
    "name": "qwerty",
    "emailAddress": "qwerty@xxxxx.com",

I hope this clarifies :) 

Cheers,
Dario

Vyshnavi Bandarupalli July 25, 2019

Hi,

I am using JIRA cloud instance and I am the admin. Is there any other way to get users email  in an organisation without setting Profile visibility to Public 

Dario B
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2019

Hi @Vyshnavi Bandarupalli ,

Just to clarify, are you using managed accounts or not? 

Also, please find below the expected behavior of the different settings summarized:

---------------------------------------------------------------

• anything set to public will always be visible regardless of the type or caller or the authentication method

• anything set to the user's organisation will be visible to:

• users in the ui

• users doing rest calls authenticating as themselves

• it won't be visible to connect apps(*)

• it won't be visible in webhooks

• anything set to "only me and admins" will be visible to:

• the user when they request themselves (apart from in connect apps)

• in the user management ui (admin.atlassian.com) it will be visible to admins in the user list (but no where else)

• if its a managed account it might also be accessible to admins through the identity usermanagment api (not the same as Jira rest api) https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/admin/user-management/rest/#auth (I haven't verified this)

• customer accounts email will be visibile:

• to agents in the UI on profile cards

• to agents in places using user search apis inside Jira (there is no clearcut rule for which places it is), including the user search rest api, but not the user lookup api

• It should be visible to all agents everywhere (apart from connect apps) but isn't - that's being actively worked on by Vu Truong in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-8289

(*)connect apps can apply through ecosystem to use some special api endpoints to get email regardless of privacy settings. For details see: Guidelines for requesting access to email address

---------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers,
Dario

Erin Mihalik May 6, 2020

I think what he was asking was if there is a way to overwrite the user setting as an admin.  We are encountering the same challenge and would like to do an import but the emails need to be public.  The only way to achieve this is to depend one very employee to make this change, even if it is just temporary for the import.  This sucks as you need to rely on the staff to make the change.  There should be a way for the admin to complete this task.

Rahul Ingle October 2, 2022

Hi @Aleksandr Zuevich  @Dario B  @Vyshnavi Bandarupalli  @Erin Mihalik User Email Visibility features is avalibe for jira server 8.20.6 version?

Suggest an answer