Upgrade Jira Jira from v7.9.0 to Jira 8.4

billy_molokwane October 15, 2019

Hi we want to upgrade our Jira from v7.9.0 so I want to know which way will be best to jump straight into the latest version or go each version or can I jump a few? please guide me through as this is our first time.

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2019

If I were to decide - I would move frm 7.9.* to 8.0* version and then jump from 8.0.* to  8.4.*

Sounds like a Good idea thank you 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2019

Make sure any plugins you have support the new JIRA version. You may need to install some of them at the same time you upgrade JIRA

Sounds like a good Idea thanks 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2019

Hi @billy_molokwane , 

for an upgrade from Jira 7.x to Jira 8.x, you can simply get the new installer/archive, configure it to point to your existing JIRA_HOME directory and start it. No need to export/import data or point to a new database.

You can find the full documentation on upgrading here.

Let me know if it works, 

--Alexis

Thank you Alexis I will let you know 

Suggest an answer