Update custom field value in sub-task

Rafael Moreira October 19, 2018

Hi,

I want to update a custom field in a sub-task if in the parent task the custom field was updated.

The sub-task custom field and task custom field are the same field.

Thank you for your help.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2018

Hello Rafael,

You will need to use an add-on to configure this functionality and there are several that you can use to configure it.

That being said, my recommendation is to use Automation for JIRA (300 free executions per month) and configure a rule like the one below:

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 16.52.40.png

Rafael Moreira October 21, 2018

Hello Petterson,

Thank you for your solution and your quickly answer

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2018

You are welcome, Rafael.

Have a nice week.

Reto Wagner November 19, 2018

Hi Petterson

Unfortunately the copy from triggerIssue is not available for me. I've also tried different smart values I've found in official documentation as well as on different online posts.

1. Why isn't the "copy from triggerIssue" not available?

2. Why don't the different methods getting the parent's values work?

I've also tried to use "Value changed" as Trigger but still can't select "copy from triggerIssue" in the Sub-Task field editing.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Reto

automation_rule.pngservice_request_sub_task-custom_field_values.png

Reto Wagner November 28, 2018

I've figured out that when I add minimum 1-2 refresh actions prior to another the create / update action it works. Looks like automation is to "fast", so after a create or update trigger / action the following rules are executed faster than the create/update mechanism prior to that action.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
November 28, 2018

Hello Reto,

Sorry for my delay in getting back to you.

In fact, I was trying to reproduce the issue from my side. Thank you for your feedback about this.

Have a nice week! Please, let us know if you need any further help.

Reto Wagner November 28, 2018

Hi Petterson

No Problem.

However, I'm not so happy using this "random" fix, as from my opinion the actions prior another one should be processed/finished properly before starting the next action in the automation rule. I've a few more use cases and the problem is always the same. I have to include 1-2 refreshs before and after an action to have it handled correctly. Especially when editing user-related fields (e.g. participant) the processing times are worse.

Any ideas? Is there a known issue regarding incorrect  (sorted) processing handling in the automation rules?

Have a nice week as well! :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events