Unable to start JIRA

geabenitez September 7, 2018

I installed Jira Software and was able to import a previous backup (from a different server) then I added a subdomain like jira.domain.com using apache ( i created the virtual host and modivied the server.xml file) it was working fine. then I wanted to add an ssl so installed certbot and modified again the server.xml (to use the ssl section) then i was unable to start jira softwar, I ahve been trying different ways and none seems to work. 

the following is the result of "systemctl status jira.service"

● jira.service
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/jira; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (exited) since Fri 2018-09-07 20:27:54 UTC; 20min ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 2695 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/jira stop (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Process: 2731 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/jira start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Tasks: 0
Memory: 0B
CPU: 0

Sep 07 20:27:54 jira-services jira[2731]: Atlassian JIRA
Sep 07 20:27:54 jira-services jira[2731]: Version : 7.12.1
Sep 07 20:27:54 jira-services jira[2731]: [19B blob data]
Sep 07 20:27:54 jira-services jira[2731]: If you encounter issues starting or stopping JIRA, please see the Troubleshooting guide at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installation+Troubleshooting+Guide
Sep 07 20:27:54 jira-services jira[2731]: Server startup logs are located in /opt/atlassian/jira/logs/catalina.out
Sep 07 20:27:54 jira-services jira[2731]: Existing PID file found during start.
Sep 07 20:27:54 jira-services jira[2731]: Removing/clearing stale PID file.
Sep 07 20:27:54 jira-services jira[2731]: Tomcat started.
Sep 07 20:27:54 jira-services runuser[2740]: pam_unix(runuser:session): session closed for user jira
Sep 07 20:27:54 jira-services systemd[1]: Started jira.service.

P.D. I follow the same steps for confluence and now its working find with ssl. 

(both are on the same server)

thank you in advance. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2018

Hello,

You should look in the atlassian-jira.log for errors.

geabenitez September 8, 2018

Thank you very much. your comment made me search where are the logs, and I found some files under /opt/atlassian/jira/logs, I realized that logs are created on daily basis, so I read all created today and I found a invalid charanter on server.xml I am using htts with apache. 

Thank you very much. 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2018

Good to hear that you solved it. You are welcome!

Suggest an answer