Turning smart search on and off

Lindsay Ridgeway December 26, 2011

Am trying to learn about JIRA by trying things.

The option to turn off smart searching apeared at the top of my search screen, and I clicked it to see the effect. Now I can't figure out how to turn it back on. The answer doesn't seem to be mentioned in the online docs nor any thread I can find via Google.

While you're answering this, please also tell me the keyboard shortcut for accepting an auto-complete offering, other than moving off the keyboard to the mouse and point-clicking it.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Lindsay Ridgeway January 29, 2012

Thanks for the answer and links. My project has moved away from JIRA, so I won't be following this thread any longer.

To address your reply:

(1) At one time, i saw a message that said something like, "Click here to turn off smart searching." As an experiment, I clicked it to see what would be different. I didn't see any difference, I couldn't find a way to make that message appear again, and I couldn't find any documentation on what the option was supposed to do or how to turn it back on. I'm sorry, I can't provide any more detail, that's all I can remember.

(2) I wasn't looking for a keyboard shortcut to turn the feature on and off. I was looking for a keyboard shortcut for something completely different: to accept one of several auto-complete offerings. It's annoying having to move my hand to the mouse for that.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2012

As the name suggests, smart search does "smart" searching. For example, if you search for "JIRA xxx" and you have a project named JIRA, it will search for 'xxx' in the project JIRA. If you turn the smart searching off, it will search for 'JIRA xxx' in all projects.

Turning off won't turn it off globally and for the subsequent searches. It will only turn it off for that purticular search. See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+Quick+Search#UsingQuickSearch-SmartQuerying

0 votes
Azwandi Mohd Aris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2012

If you are referring to this, the option to turn off smart search will appear again when you do another similar search. See what triggers smart search - http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+Quick+Search.

At the moment, there is no keyboard shortcut to turn this feature on/off. On a related note, you press '?' for a quick shortuct help (if you have keyboard shortcuts turned on). Also, a complete list of shortcuts - http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Using+Keyboard+Shortcuts

Hope that helps!

Suggest an answer