The Case of the Never-ending Mail Error Queue

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2019

Before I check the outgoing mail log file or enable debug mail logging, I'm wondering whether anyone has else has seen this? (Jira Data Center 7.6.9 with 4 nodes)

I have about 50 mails in the outgoing mail error queue. I check the issues mentioned in them and see that some of the errors may be users with invalid email addresses. I fix those and delete all the items in the error queue.

The next day when I check the error queue again, I see another 50 mails there. But the dates on those emails start about a month ago.

Did the Flush Error queue not complete yesterday?

Are the dates on mail items in the error queue not what I think they are? 

It's a mystery.

1 answer

0 votes
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2019

It turns out that you see a different set of error'd emails on each node in Jira data center. You have to clear the error queue on each node

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2019

huh, interesting. Perils of storing mails in-memory!

Suggest an answer