Tagging people not working consistently on Next Gen Projects cannot tag people in comments

Neil Timmerman August 15, 2019

I'm experiencing bizarre behavior with regard to tagging people in comments. Site admins can generate the people tags in comments but users that only have Member or Administrator permission in a next gen project cannot generate people tags in comments.

I followed the procedure for removing the Browse Projects global permission from all-logged-in-users in order to remove the ability for a Jira user to see all projects. Is this the cause of the problem??

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2019

Hello Neil,

I understand that some users in some next-gen projects are not able to mention other users in comments (@username), while your Site-Admin is currently able to do it. Is it correct?

About this statement:

I followed the procedure for removing the Browse Projects global permission from all-logged-in-users in order to remove the ability for a Jira user to see all projects. Is this the cause of the problem??

Next-gen projects don't have "Browse projects" permissions. They can only be restricted with three general options (Open, Limited, Private), under the details menu:

That being said, if you are using a next-gen project, I would check the following:

1 - Make sure the users that cannot mention anyone are added to the global permission Browse Users, as described in this documentation:

1. Choose the Jira icon (, or ) > Jira settings > System.
  2. Click Global Permissions.
  3. Check if the users are properly added to the Browse Users and Groups permission

2 - Check if the users that both your Site-admin and the other users are trying to mention are the same. If it is not, check if user they are mentioned is configured to access the Next-gen project.

Let me know if this information helps.

Neil Timmerman August 16, 2019

If I provide the Browse Users and Groups permission, will the scope of that be limited to only users and groups that have access to the project? 

The reason I am asking is, I need to limit the scope of some users to just a specific project. We cannot allow these external users (as in, clients and contractors and not employees) to see the names of other clients groups, users, and projects. 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2019

Hello Neil,

Yes, only users that are able to access the project will be able to be mentioned. Users that do not have permissions in the project you are mentioning, will not be displayed as an option when you type @.

We have a good KB explaining this behavior:

Mentions are not working in JIRA applications

Brian Oconnell April 28, 2020

Hi Petter, is there a Cloud version of the link above?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
April 29, 2020

Hello @Brian Oconnell

Actually, all the topics of that documentation are also applicable to Jira Cloud application, however, I was able to find a version for that KB for Cloud, which have some more specifications:

Mentions and Autocomplete are not working in JIRA Cloud 

Suggest an answer