THROTTLED in automation Jira

Paolo Garofalo March 29, 2024

Hi,

I created a Jira automation to do this:

1) if an issue goes to In Progress and linked to an Epic in To Do state or other initial states, then the Epic goes to In Progress state (trigger Issue Updated)

2) if an issue in In Progress is added to an Epic in To Do, then the Epic must go to In Progress (trigger Generic Event)

I combined the 2 cases in a Multiple Issues Event:

image-1.png

but we go to THROTTLED:

image (1).png

to try to resolve the matter I modified the JQL:

key = {{issue.key}} and category = "Digital Global Solution Projects" AND (statusCategory = "In Progress" AND issuetype in (Story, Bug, Spike,Improvement, "BCR Implementation", Task, Sub-task, TCR, ICR) )

but in any case the number of times the issue starts is not limited:

grafico_thro.jpg

How can I resolve this? Is it possible to start the trigger only on some projects defined with a query?

without selecting them one by one?

Thanks

Paolo

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2024

Hi @Paolo Garofalo 

Looks like the rule is hitting one of the service limits - see more information about those here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/automation-service-limits-993924705.html

I assume it's the "Issue Updated" trigger causing this.

---

I would...

1. Change the Trigger. It looks like this is based on Status - could you use "Issue Transitioned" instead? You can further limit this trigger to include multiple specific from/to Statuses - eg. Backlog, Open, etc.
  2. Limit the scope of the rule. You can do this via "Rule Details" - change the Scope to "Multiple projects" and then select those to include.

...or do at least (2), if (1) is not an option.

Ste

Paolo Garofalo March 29, 2024

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ , thanks

1. in the new jql indicated

key = {{issue.key}} and category = "Digital Global Solution Projects" AND (statusCategory = "In Progress" AND issuetype in (Story, Bug, Spike,Improvement, "BCR Implementation", Task, Sub-task, TCR, ICR) )

I have already entered the statuses

2: for the projects in "Rule Details" I can't add them individually because there are many, I would like to know if there is a way to select them with a jql

Paolo

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2024

Hi @Paolo Garofalo 

The throttling isn't referencing your JQL in the Condition, it's referencing the Trigger (next to the green circle) - which I assume is "Multiple issue events"

You could change this Trigger to "Issue Transitioned" which is specifically for status transitions, rather than any update to the Project.

---

In terms of limiting the scope via JQL, this isn't possible at this stage. There is a suggestion to make scope more flexible though, check out AUTO-117 

Ste

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2024

Hi @Paolo Garofalo 

In addition to the ideas Stephen suggested to make the rule trigger more specific...

Have you checked if someone enabled the "Allow Rule Trigger" option for this rule in the details at the top: https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/create-and-edit-jira-automation-rules-1141480599.html#CreateandeditJiraautomationrules-Editthedetailsofarule

Based on the audit log entries you show, it is possible the rule is triggering itself and for some reason that is not recording as looping.

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer