Swimlanes and Multiple Teams Question

Michael Hoagland July 16, 2019

Situation: I have a main backlog that I groom and several teams. As things pass through the grooming log, I want to let teams grab the approved items however they want. As they grab items and on the grooming log, I want tasks automatically sorted into swimlanes based on their parent or some property on the item. Ideally, I'd both like to view the flow of work from the high level (from backlog to team to done) and on a per team basis.

Does Jira do this well?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2019

Hi Michael,

Certainly Jira can do that. You won't have swimlanes in your Backlog, but definitely on the board. Each swimlane is based on a JQL query, so just determine what those filters will look like for each swimlane. 

Michael Hoagland July 16, 2019

I would have to define a query for each swimlane? Could have a generational query that will create new ones as the flow of items go through? I'm wanting to have a swimlane per product enhancement. Maintaining these manually would be a pain.

Thanks for the quick response!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2019

Yes, you would have to define each swimlane individually and manually. The hope is that those queries wouldn't be changing that much.

Suggest an answer