Sum time spent on Epics

rebecca.ruthfitzpatrick March 11, 2024

Hi there,

I want to estimate the time spent on Epics and child issues. Unfortunately I'm not getting a return for Time Spent or sumTime Spent. I don't want to install a 3rd party app. Any ideas on alternative solutions?

Thanks,

Rebecca

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 11, 2024

Hi @rebecca.ruthfitzpatrick

As far as I know, there is not a straightforward way of doing this without an app. You may try exporting the issue list into Excel and then making your summations in Excel.

If you prefer using a marketplace app, you can try Sum Up Reports for Jira app developed by our team. This app provides various table reports based on the fields you choose.

• You can list the issue fields you want and sum up the values at the bottom.
  • You can group your data on any field (sprint, status, assignee, component, project etc.) and sum up the field values (story points, time estimate etc.) or take averages.
  • You can add this app as a gadget to your Jira dashboards.

Here is our live demo dashboard where you can see and modify any sample report and play with it.

For further details, you can have a look at Sum Up and Average Reports in Jira Dashboards article.

Hope it helps.

2 votes
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 12, 2024

Hi @rebecca.ruthfitzpatrick

without an app, I believe you'll have to use Jira Automation and do the math yourself. This article should be a good starting point.

If an app should become an option for you, there's a number of options available on the Atlassian Marketplace. As an example, my team and I work on an app that I think you might like: JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a range of advanced features, including support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

With these, you can build a view like this in just a couple of clicks:

time-spent-on-epic.gif

(Note how the sum up updates live and in real time as we edit our issues.) This is really just one of a virtually endless number of possible reports - you can also sum up any other issue fields, configure different sum-up styles, etc.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events