Struggling with disallowed symbols in filenames for files attached to JIRA issues

Jan Evetts April 21, 2014

Hi,

The closest issue I can find relating to this is Confluence only (CONF-22338) - which suggests it is related to Tomcat and double decoding... I'm admin for JIRA but I don't have access to the server where our instance of JIRA is installed so I don't know if this is relevant.

The problem we have in our instance of JIRA are filenames such as the following:

problems symbols+je.docx
problems symbols%20je.docx
problems symbols%2Bje.docx

cannot be downloaded (but can be uploaded) in JIRA issues, users just get a blank screen when trying to download them.

But the following are fine:

problems symbols%je.docx
problems symbols=je.docx
problems symbols%2je.docx

I can't find a definitive list of disallowed symbols for JIRA anywhere in Answers but I've informed our users to not use + symbols, but this is still causing a headache because they work all the time with Word documents from lots of sources with different filenaming conventions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

3 answers

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2014

Hard to answer then if you can't get the raw logs.

0 votes
Jan Evetts April 22, 2014

Timothy,

Thanks for your response, I ran the log scanner and there was 'Generic 'Internal Server Error' on JIRA page' but nothing specifically mentioning attachments. I don't have access to the application server logs so I can't view the logs directly.

Jan

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2014

What do the logs say?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events