Start sprint button is disabled

Omar Farook September 28, 2021

I am using the free tier and the administrator of the account but I do not have permission to start a sprint, the button is greyed out

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2021

Hi @Omar Farook  welcome on the community :)

Can you share screenshot of your backlog screen? Do you have any sprint started already? You need to switch on parallel sprints if you want to have to sprints started at one time (https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/use-parallel-sprints/)

Hi @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ thanks. I am not able to start any sprint, the button is greyed out. I just opened a new Jira account and started a project. Added a few epics and stories, assign them to a sprint but cant' start it. I am the administrator so not sure if there is a permission issue.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2021

ok, can you share the screenshot of Backlog screen?

Untitled.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2021

I think, if you add issues to MM Sprint 1, you will be able to start it.While you complete it, you will be able to start Sprint 2.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Piotr Zadrożny _Eyzee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2021

Hi @Omar Farook 

You need to first start and finish Sprint 1 and after that you will be able to start next sprint. To start first sprint you need also to have at least one issue/story in it. Please check those screenshots:

o1.png

o2.png

You will also probably need to adjust your start or end sprint date. For example if you move any story to Sprint 1 and try to start this sprint, you will receive an error with message:

o3.png

Thats because your start date will be automatically changed for today/now, and your end date won't change. You have end date for sprint 1 configured as in screenshot above so you will have to change it to some later day or change start date manually and set is again on 9/13/2021.  

Kind regards,

Piotr

0 votes
Kevin Frey September 14, 2022

This may not be the OP's particular issue, but I have noticed a bug today with the Start Sprint button.

The enabled/disabled status of the Start Sprint button is tied to the presence or absence of tasks being displayed in the Sprint.

What therefore happens is that if you are *filtering* the list using a Quick Filter (eg. "Resolved") and no records are visible (as would happen before commencing a new sprint), then the Start Sprint button is disabled, even though the Sprint absolutely contains tasks.

The Start Sprint button should, in my opinion, be disabled only if the sprint contains no tasks, irrespective of what is being shown or filtered out in the list display.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2021

Are you working with a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?

Have you added issues to the sprint?

If you hover over the Start Sprint button, do you get any hint help that tells you why the button is disabled?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am using a Team Managed Project. I am not able to start any sprints, the button is greyed out. I just opened a new Jira account and started a new project. Added a few epics and stories, assign them to a sprint but can't start it. I am the administrator so not sure if there is a permission issue. Hovering over the button doesn't provide any hint.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2021

Looking at the screen images I see you have created multiple sprints.

If you start by creating just one sprint and adding issues to it, are you able to start that sprint?

(You should be able to delete extraneous sprints to get back to having only one sprint.)

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2021

Hi Omar - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What type of project is it? 

Can you share a screenshot of the permission scheme for Manage Sprints section?

Hi John, thanks. So I have created a scrum project. I am new to Jira so not sure how to access the permission scheme, could you please point me to it? 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2021

Permissions Schemes do not apply to Team Managed projects (referencing the answer to the question in my Response asking about project type)

Should I be then using a company managed project?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2021

Sprint 1 is your first sprint, but it has no issues in it. You will need to start Sprint 1 first. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events