Sprint report - hours left in sprint are wrong

Andrew April 2, 2019

It seems to only have effected our most recent sprint.  

We are using Jira provided time tracking. Our Devs log their time on each issue. When we estimate each issue, we add it in Estimated time field AND time remaining. 

Is there anything that changed in Jira recently that could have caused the report to miscalculate the remaining hours in a given sprint?

In my report, it shows approx. 55+ hours left, but Not Completed issues only add up to 25 hours remaining: https://drive.google.com/a/dynamo-media.com/file/d/189Mf13kcawX2siH4ncoz2TYyba3qjPEf/view?usp=drivesdk

Any ideas? 

Thank you in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2019

Hi @Andrew

can you publish the table that you see under the sprint report?

Andrew April 3, 2019
Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2019

Hi @Andrew

you can also check the burndown chart, where the table is much more detailed. Probably some of the tickets were modified after completing the sprint, or the scope was modified, etc. Probably some of the cases are not supported properly.

Moreover, Jira UI is as always a little bit messy. For example, I do not know how you achieved to get 'Estimated time' in your table. I can only have 'Original Time Estimate' there.

Andrew April 3, 2019

The burndown chart, unfortunately, shows the same info. 

The scope was changed during the sprint, but most of our sprints, we end up getting a couple of immediate issues and we have to push a couple of issues to the next sprint. But I always remove the same amount of estimated time we are adding. 

What I find strange, is that, we've been doing this for 1.5 years, and the reports have always shown the correct burndown.. we didn't do anything differently this sprint. 

Ya Jira settings can be a little convoluted in my opinion.. we are using a built in Field called Estimated Time and the Field Time Tracking (can find both of these in Field Configurations)

and in Board Settings: https://drive.google.com/a/dynamo-media.com/file/d/1cKtLedtAIy57cHyl4v288CljHAsvCoTh/view?usp=drivesdk

This all could be caused by my setup.. but as far as I know, nothing has changed from one sprint to the next.. 

Thanks

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 9, 2019

OK, so the estimated time is the original time estimate.

That means that everything is OK in your case, but you are comparing different values. You have the remaining time estimate on the graph, but original time estimate in the table.

You shouln't modify the original time estimate manually, as it may introduce the confusion we have seen here.

Andrew April 11, 2019

That makes much more sense. So at the start of the sprint, we would only enter the estimated time. And if I am understanding correctly, that would become the original estimated time. What happens to an issue that spans over multiple sprints with the original estimated time?

Thanks

Andrew April 11, 2019

I think it could be that at the start of the sprints, we estimate each issue and enter in "Estimated Time" field. And add the same value to "Time Remaining" on the Time tracking screen (https://drive.google.com/a/dynamo-media.com/file/d/1fcbnSDsjg7TWxyjuXQA29HA8ICIYuDkw/view?usp=drivesdk)

If we didnt add that value there, we wouldnt be shown the estimate on the backlog view: https://drive.google.com/a/dynamo-media.com/file/d/1-ocE2_GS2FaYRXbBOt-6JaXvMbnPEzhT/view?usp=drivesdk

Andrew April 11, 2019

I think we have figured it out! Had a hidden field called "Original Estimate"

Thank you for all your help!! 

Suggest an answer