Space issues on JIRA

Neeta Dubey February 13, 2015

We are currently facing space issues in JIRA and I saw that logs folder is taking ~176GB. Is it safe to delete data from log files.

i saw that size of log file in september was ~37GB and then in Nov it went to 45 GB. If i delete these two files it will give me ample space on C drive however i need your assistance. My C drive is already of 500GB and 16GB RAM. We cant increase it beyond this. 

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2015

No and yes.  In general, you can just whack the logs and it'll all be fine.  But sometimes, it causes issues if the JIRA software is still running (and it may also lock the log files open so you can't delete them)

So, your process should be:

• Decide what logs you want to keep.  (If any - unless you're in the middle of debugging another problem or you're using them for some form of monitoring, it's usually a safe decision to kill all of them)
  • Stop JIRA
  • Delete the logs you don't want
  • Restart JIRA
  • Have a look through https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/How+to+Rotate+Catalina+Log+File for a start at preventing this happening again
0 votes
Neeta Dubey February 13, 2015

Suggest an answer