Slow startup due to plugin jira-welcome-plugin timing out

Yay N' Stuff September 28, 2018

Hi All,

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem in Jira 6.4.14 which causes painfully slow startup times.. I realize this is a long EOL'd version of Jira, but we're not able to upgrade right now (planned for the near future once we have better hardware).

The log file is filled with this:

INFO      [atlassian.plugin.util.WaitUntil] Plugins that have yet to be enabled: (1): [com.atlassian.jira.welcome.jira-welcome-plugin]

And it counts down from 300 seconds and eventually gives up. The server is under practically no load while this countdown is occurring. eventually, Jira gives up and continues to load, but I see this in the log before it continues:

1 plugin failed to load during JIRA startup.
        'com.atlassian.jira.welcome.jira-welcome-plugin' - 'JIRA Welcome Plugin'  failed to load.
                Application context initialization for 'com.atlassian.jira.welcome.jira-welcome-plugin' has timed out

It has the following missing service dependencies :
                         &sampleDataImporter of type (objectClass=com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.sample.SampleDataImporter)
                         &sampleDataImporter of type (objectClass=com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.sample.SampleDataImporter)

The missing service dependencies is an interesting thing...

Any ideas on the best way to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Y.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2018

I would recommend starting by checking out the Jira Sizing Guide, this can be helpful to understand what kind of resources we expect Jira to have given the size of your environment.  With this info, it might be necessary to also follow Increasing JIRA application memory.

Plugin timeouts like these tend to happen because the server is overloaded or under-resourced.   Usually this happens because of insufficient RAM, or trying to use a system with only a single CPU core.  It's possible that you could have tried to start Jira at one time, and if the system was low on available memory, a plugin in Jira could fail to load on startup.  If this happens, it is possible that Jira can mark plugins as being disabled in the database with a flag.  You can check for these via sql with a command such as

select * from pluginstate;

If all your plugins are enabled, then this table will be blank, but if you have any entries in there, with the values of 'false' for the 'pluginenabled' field, that plugin won't be loaded when Jira starts up.   This will list all user plugins and system plugins alike.   If you can get Jira started, you could also use the UPM manager in Jira to look for disabled plugins and try to reenable them this way.

It is possible that you might have already increased your resources to Jira, but a problem like this can continue until you clear this database entry that flags this system plugin as being disabled.

Yay N' Stuff October 2, 2018

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for getting back to me :)

There were a whole heap of user installed plugins that were no longer used, I uninstalled those and the problems seemed to go away on its own, its weird...

Was the missing service dependencies in that error message I posted anything to be concerned about?

Thanks Again

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2018

Not really, it just means that there is a certain set of libraries used for creating sample projects (projects with some basic issues and generic descriptions, etc), and without the welcome plugin in that version, you couldn't use that specific functionality in Jira.

Suggest an answer