Simplfied workflow: complete sprint w/ in-progress issue in done column shall move issue to backlog

Thomas Lehmann
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 9, 2018

We've a simplified workflow setup where an "in-progress" status (yellow) is mapped to the "done" column. The "Set resolution" checkbox is not ticked.

The rationale behind that status and mapping was to keep issues with completed development and testing but pending release in the sprint and carry them into the next sprint for a scheduled release (they shall not disappear and remind us every day that there is still work to be done). To save horizontal space we decided having that status in the existing "done" column instead of a new column.

See this board config:

greenhopper_board_simplifed_workflow_with_yellow_progress_status_in_done_column.png

(Find "QA done" in the right most column "done" and status "type" "in-progress", yellow.)

When completing the sprint, the issues with status "QA done" are not moved back to backlog (or into the next sprint) instead they're closed (or whatever). We expected them to move to the backlog (or new sprint for that matter).

It looks like JIRA/Greenhopper is treating the column "done" as "completeness" indicator, not the actual status itself.

Is this the expected behavior? Is there anything we can do to carry the issue to the next sprint (or to the backlog), if yes, how should we configure our board?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2018

Yes, that is what should happen.

The column on the far right is "done".  It represents the end of the process, where issues need no more attention.  Anything in the "done" column is done, so it won't go into the backlog when you end the sprint.

You've chosen to tell Jira that the status resolved, closed, live and qa status are "done".  I suspect you might want to put QA in a different column.

1 vote
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2018

JIRA treat everything on the right most column as Done even it is not a "green" status. Looking at your screenshot I suggest you to completely remove QA Done. If the issue is in QA then if someone moves the ticket to next status it is automatically an information that QA is already done (or at least your team should be aware of this). It is similar like moving from "In Progress" to "Resolve". You do not have any middle statuses like "Progress Done"

Suggest an answer