Should I create "project" or "epic"?

Rick Dee July 11, 2021

Hi, I have a website that track all the equipment calibration and preventive maintenance. Every month users will submit projects request to continuously add new feature or enhance existing features within that system. Those projects normally take more than 3 months and sometimes one year to complete. FYI, I only have a small team of 3 developers and they are doing development, testing, implementation and basically everything thru the projects. So my question is:   when user request us to do those projects, should I create "project" or should I create "epic"?

Thanks

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2021

Hi Rick - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Yes, I agree with Jonas - I would definitely create Epics for that work since they are such short range. They are easier to create and close out and to built roadmaps against if you need those. 

Rick Dee July 12, 2021

Thanks John. Appreciate that. Appreciate for your confirmation.   ;-)

Like John Funk likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Jonas Ekström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2021

Hi,

I'd definitely use epics rather than projects for your purpose.

A project tracks the life cycle of a product/service, adding or enhancing features is part of the cycle, and would at least in my experience give you a better control over what's been done over time.

Rick Dee July 12, 2021

Thank you Jonas.

Suggest an answer