Setting a Jira Datacenter in Cluster Mode.

Virender Dubey
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 27, 2020

Hi,

We are Setting a Jira Datacenter software(version - 8.8.1) in Cluster Mode. However, when we put this inside AWS Load Balancer, with servers are added in TG(instance_id or IP) it is getting redirected to the login page frequently.

Cluster.properties file:

jira.node.id = *****
jira.shared.home = ******
ehcache.listener.hostName = *****

Please help to debug the same.

2 answers

1 vote
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2020

Hi Virender,

this can also happen if configuration is not consistent as this article describes.
Could you please kindly make sure this is configured correctly across all of your nodes?

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 27, 2020

Hi @Virender Dubey ,

This behavior usually happens when the Load Balancer was not configured with Sticky sessions. JIRA application must have this enabled in order to keep the traffic with the same node.

Can you enable the Load Balancer Stickiness and see if that resolve your issue?

Virender Kumar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 27, 2020

Hi @Italo Qualisoni [e-Core] 

In AWS LB, we have group-level stickiness with the TG, and we have enabled it and set the config as 1hour.

Group-level stickiness: 1 hour (3600 seconds)

However, still redirecting to the login page every time.

Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 28, 2020

Hi,

First I would say that you should look for @Daniel Ebers comment, he mention an article that can help you.

You can see what node you are accessing in the bottom of the page, if you refresh the page your node identifier should be the same , if that changes then you should review your sticky session settings.

1. Scroll down to the bottom of the dashboard page 
  2. Check the footer and locate the text  Atlassian JIRA Project Management Sofware (v7.X.X#XXXXX-XXXX:XXXXXXX:YOUR-NODE)
  3. Cross reference the footer with your cluster.properties file located in your local home
  4. YOUR-NODE  corresponds with the jira.node.id defined in the file

Also I've seen sometime an issue to login due a missing attributes in your connector in $JIRA_BINARY/conf/server.xml

I would recommend you to review your server.xml file, since now you are using a LB reverse proxy and you should provide the ProxyName, ProxyPort and Scheme attributes.

scheme should be '<recommended scheme>'
proxyName should be '<recommended proxyName>'
proxyPort should be '<recommended proxyPort>'

For insecure you should include these attributes in your Connector and restart JIRA

proxyName="jira.yourcompany.com" proxyPort="80" scheme="http"

For secure proxy you should include these attributes in your Connector and restart JIRA

proxyName="jira.yourcompany.com" proxyPort="443" scheme="https" secure="true"

Virender Dubey
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 15, 2021

Thanks @Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]  and @Daniel Ebers 

I was setting the sticky session config incorrectly and due to this, jira is failing to manage the session.
In AWS sticky session config is present at Target Group Level and we have to set that only. Post setting this it started working.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2021

Great! Glad you fixed it!
Thanks for letting us know what the root cause was.

Suggest an answer