Server to datacenter server migration

Dawn Fama December 17, 2020

While looking up migration strategy to migrate JIRA server to JIRA DataCenter server. 

I came across this content - Upgrading server apps when you migrate to Data Center | Atlassian Support | Atlassian Documentation

I am running 8.13.1 and the plan your upgrade as well as manage app upgrade check does not have datacenter as an option to check compatibility.

This is one of the steps documented on the link above 

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

@Dawn Fama  , i would advise you to use a lower environment of your JIRA which has all the plugins as in production and upgrade there first. When you do it, the plugins would go on a compatiblity check and let you know if there would be a incompatibility issue and you can then talk to that plugin vendor for a DC compatible plugin version.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

Dear @Dawn Fama 

I don't get your question (is there one?). Anyhow: When you plan to go from server to data center with a small Jira Server instance, this is quite easy. You could just add the new data center license to your current Jira Server and Jira works as before. Of cause, the licenses of plugins have to be also of type "data center".

So no need to reinstall Jira or migrate the database. Of cause, when you would like to profit from all features of the data center version, you need to reinstall and place a load balancer in front of the nodes.

So long

Thomas

Dawn Fama December 18, 2020

Hello Thomas, 

Thank you for your reply, In my question I don't see where I asked "is there one"? But in the steps documented in the link I posted, there is direction to use upgrade check for the application as well as manage app upgrade check.  In the drop down to check compatibility there isn't an option for datacenter.  

I appreciate the feedback.  I wanted to post to the community to understand any issues anyone may have come across while migrating.  We do not plan to have a clustered instance so it sounds like the migration path is quite simple.

However, we do have a handful of add ons I need to verify.

We are running JIRA Software 8.13.1 and Jira Service Desk (now manager) 4.13.1 on the same server.  We are running Confluence 7.9 on a separate server.

We have the following add ons

JEMH

Tempo Timesheets

JMWE

JMCF

JSU

scriptrunner

Proforma Forms

Configuration Manager

Issue Reminders

Mike Harrison _The Plugin People_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2021

Hi Dawn,

JEMH for Jira Data Center is licensed via Atlassian so that will be a change to consider. More information can be found on our wiki. Contact us if needed!

Kind regards,

Mike

0 votes
Kate Caldecott
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 27, 2020

@Dawn Fama  - I thought this may also be helpful re migration.

ProForma's migration information is available here for your reference.  Note we are in the process of updating and upgrading our migration process and will advise via our migration resource page.

Dawn Fama February 2, 2021

Hi Kate,

The link you provided is returning 404.  Also, we are not migrating from server to Cloud, we are only changing our license type from server to datacenter.  

I would like to first try this in our dev instance with a trial DC license.  Its my understanding, I need to apply DC license to all add ons prior to applying the base license, although I dont know how that is possible without first purchasing DC license to initiate a developer license?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events