Sending email updates for Jira tickets to people who do not login to our Jira instance

James Gallagher
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 30, 2019

We have issues reported by users/customers and I'd like to include them in the email update process as we work on a given ticket. I'd like to make this association for specific tickets and specific email addresses (and, ideally, for specific changes to the ticket). 

The people do not have a login to our Jira instance.

Can I do this? How?

Thanks, 

James

1 answer

0 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2019

Hi @James Gallagher

Im sure there are plugins to help you with this but there are also options using standard Jira.

You can create users in Jira’s internal directory and set any email you like.

You can create a user picker and set it for specific issues.

if you create a new custom event type you can fire that event in workflow transitions of your choice.

finally in the notification scheme for the custom event you can notify the user in your issue custom field

James Gallagher
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 1, 2019

It sounds like a custom event is what we'd want. Where would I find out about those?

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2019

Hi @James Gallagher

Try this article for starters 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/adding-a-custom-event-861253643.html

How are you on the other steps I suggested?

Suggest an answer