Running JIRA with two domain names

Nikhil September 23, 2018
Hi we are facing an issue when trying to run JIRA internally with 1 domain name and externally with other. I know we will miss some functionality but For us we just want the customer portal to be accessed with a different URL. for ex:- my internal URL is connectapp.mydomain.com.bh(which is configured in server.xml) and external URL is connect.mydomain.com.bh(configured in IIS). When customer of JSD is trying to connect it just keeps on reloading. but when i access JIRA itself its fine. but still missing few icons and issues and some othe stuff. Thank you

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2018

This is going to fail in interesting ways because you can only set one url for the application.  I would not bother trying this, it's mostly just going to waste your time and annoy your users.

But we don't want to public it over internet and end up getting hacked. We are just using a forwarder domain name for external use but missing some functionality. ok in order to use one URL and publish over the internet is there any possibility were we can set this up or have a recommended firewall setting for JIRA or firewall it self so we can have it this way published over the internet. at present we are using FORTIWEB firewall. Thank you.
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2018

No, and just hiding bits of it behind a different url is going to do nothing to stop you being hacked anyway.

Run it on one url (with a hardened proxy and ssl)

Like Maciej Kóska likes this
0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2018

Hi! 

Please, share the server.xml config for more detail review. 

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener"/>
<Listener SSLEngine="on" className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener"/>
<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener"/>
<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"/>
<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.ThreadLocalLeakPreventionListener"/>

<Service name="Catalina">

<Connector acceptCount="100" bindOnInit="false" connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" enableLookups="false" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1" redirectPort="443" useBodyEncodingForURI="true"/>

<Engine defaultHost="connectapp.afs.com.bh" name="Catalina">
<Host appBase="webapps" autoDeploy="true" name="connectapp.afs.com.bh" unpackWARs="true">

<Context docBase="${catalina.home}/atlassian-jira" path="" reloadable="false" useHttpOnly="true">
<Resource auth="Container" factory="org.objectweb.jotm.UserTransactionFactory" jotm.timeout="60" name="UserTransaction" type="javax.transaction.UserTransaction"/>
<Manager pathname=""/>
<JarScanner scanManifest="false"/>
</Context>

</Host>
<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve" pattern="%a %{jira.request.id}r %{jira.request.username}r %t &quot;%m %U%q %H&quot; %s %b %D &quot;%{Referer}i&quot; &quot;%{User-Agent}i&quot; &quot;%{jira.request.assession.id}r&quot;"/>
</Engine>

<Connector SSLEnabled="true" acceptCount="100" clientAuth="false" connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" enableLookups="false" keyAlias="connectapp.afs.com.bh" keystoreFile="E:\JIRA_HOME\connectapp.afs.com.bh.jks" keystorePass="" keystoreType="JKS" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" maxSpareThreads="75" maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" port="443" protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol" scheme="https" secure="true" sslProtocol="TLS" useBodyEncodingForURI="true"/></Service>
</Server>

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2018

Well, as I see you have 2 connector, 1 - is general one, another with proxy name. 

Hence, both domain has security rules. 

Could you check in from web browser problem related then CORS options or not?

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Headers/Access-Control-Allow-Origin

If it is, just enable it in tomcat, if you work with revers on revers as well

Also, please, keep in your mind it is tricky.

Officially, platform support single base url

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-customize-customer-portal-url-in-jira-service-desk-server-847755218.html 

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

Suggest an answer