Restrict Comment Creation Based on User Role and Issue Status?

PeteToscano November 19, 2020

In Jira Software Server, is it possible to restrict who can comment in issues based on the user's role and the status that the issue is in?

Specifically, I want people in the "users" role to no longer be able to create comments once an issue is moved into the Closed state, but I would like users in the "developers" and "administrators" roles to be able to keep commenting. (Usually, we're discussing the finer points of how the issue was addressed with the comments restricted to only being viewed by users in those groups.) 

I did try setting the "jira.permission.comment.user" property to "false" when the issue is moved into that state, hoping the "user" part of the property was referring to the user's role, but sadly, that seems to have applied to _all_ users, so nobody could comment, even our devs and admins. Is there an option that's less all-or-nothing? 

Thanks! 

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2020

Hi Pete,

I came across a requirement like this in the past and we addressed it okay-ish but like you said the solution is never absolutely 100% - here is what I can share right now. Please also not it would require you have "Script Runner" installed - this is an App which needs extra payment. So the following might not be a solution for you.

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/6.14.0/jira/recipes/behaviours/restricting-commentLevel.html

Cheers,
Daniel

PeteToscano November 23, 2020

Thank you, Daniel! I already do have ScriptRunner installed, so I'll dig more into this later. I hadn't even thought to check to see if it could be done with SR... 

0 votes
PeteToscano November 19, 2020

Also, I just noticed that when using "jira.permission.comment.user" set to "false", the full screen view of the issue doesn't show the Comment button or respond to the keyboard shortcut (m), when viewing the issue in a Rapid Board, the Comment button is still there and the keyboard shortcut is handled. The comment that's entered via the board is not accepted (throwing an error about the server not being able to be contacted), but that's kind of ugly.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events