Resolution Field Problem

Serena Offidani September 4, 2018

Hi all,

I have a problem with a "Resolution" Field, when I open a new issue.

This field should not be mandatory:

Resolution.PNG

But the field results required when I open the issue:

Required Field.PNG

In addition If I set this field, the issue, even if it is in Open/Accepted Status, it is not shown in the list of the "Open Issue".

Could you help me, please?

BR

Serena

2 answers

0 votes

Hi Cristian,

I'm not to able to change the status of the field "Resolution".

I don't want this field Mandatory, but I don't kwon how I can do.

I tried to modify "Global Permission" and other settings, but the field is always a mandatory field and it is a problem beacause I don't see all issue in "Open"/"Accepted"/"Reopened" Status in the list of the "Open Issue" Filter.

Serena

Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

Hi Serena,

As I said, you need that permission to change the configuration of the field, and you need to change the Field Configuration for the issue type in the Field Configuration Scheme of the project. I know this is confusing, but thats what needs to be changed.

Field Configuration Scheme has Field Configuration for each issue type. Change the Field Configuration of the Issue type you are referring to:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/changing-a-field-configuration-844500798.html

Hi Cristian,

In Field Configuration, there are only these 3 options:

Options.PNG

The options "Required" and "Renderers" are not present.

Serena

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2018

Ok, I remember some kind of weird behaviours in this field, I think it was something like: when this is added to any screen, it will be mandatory, but it will be optional if the field is not in any screen

Go to the Create Screen and check if the field Resolution is there. If it is, then remove it and try to create an issue

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2018

Hi @Serena Offidani,

When you have a field mandatory during creation, it means that this field is in the Field Configuration for that Issue Type (or there is an add-on which has this feature).

Just to remember:

• Jira project has schemes associated to them.
  • Schemes are usually structured by different issue types configurations.

Check the Field Configuration Scheme in your project and the Field configuration for that Issue type.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2018

Ah, I forgot! I see that there is created a resolution called "In progress".

I strongly recommend to remove this kind of values (open, in progress) because a Resolution in Jira is important for different kind of features: Resolution in Jira is used by Dashboards, default reporting and the ticket in boads will be cross out.

I can guess that someone wants that this field is never empty, but they are wrong, this field should be always empty until the issue is closed. if they want to force the user to input a reoslution, they should use a validator or a post function which will fulfill the resolution instead of the user

Hi Cristian,

How can I do to leave empty this field?

Which kind of permimssion I have to change?

Serena

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2018

"Jira administrator" via "Global Permissions" or "Administer Project" from "Permission Scheme" with extended permissions

Suggest an answer