Renew maintenance is necessary or not

Sunny QA October 3, 2018

HI, just want to clear my thoughts -

after reading the website regarding licensing/purchasing , got a bit of confused about maintenance renewal since we don't really need the support team from Atlassian even the first year license fee already covered the maintenance fee, so I wonder whether we should get second year to renew maintenance?

We usually just upgrade our server by ourselves , not by support team, once there is a new release ready, and most questions answered by our community (here). We did have experience asking (official) support team questions, but what they do is to check community (here) and copy/paste answers from community (here);  therefore, we want to know -

renew maintenance is necessary or not ?   (kind of management question as well) 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2018

If you are happy to run unsupported by Atlassian, then yes, you can not renew

However, you say

>We usually just upgrade our server by ourselves

That will stop.  You can't upgrade to a version released after the end of your licence.

Sunny QA October 3, 2018

"the end of licence",   we are not using cloud version,  is it perpetual use after purchasing ?   suggestion?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2018

You can not upgrade server to a version that is released after the end of your licence.

Imagine your licence ends today, and you do not renew the maintenance.  Let's say you are on Jira 7.8.  You can upgrade to Jira 7.12 because it was released before the end of your licence.  You will NOT be able to upgrade to the next version (7.13 or 8.0) because they will be released after your licence expires.

Sunny QA October 3, 2018

Thank you so very much !

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2018

Hello,

Even if you want to upgrade Jira by yourself, you would still need to renew your license.

Sunny QA October 3, 2018

renew license ? or renew the maintenance ?  our license is server version. 

Sunny QA October 3, 2018

actually, "Perpetual Jira Software use " is a bit of confusing, so I want to clarify since we are holding academic license for jira server for the first year. 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2018

You need to renew maintenance and you will be given a new license for your Jira.

Sunny QA October 3, 2018

oh, I see, but please confirm if I understand correctly - 

first, they will change SEN for us if we renew maintenance (or say license) 

second, if we don't do renewal, the old SEN remains, but not entitled to any upgrade even we can technically handle the upgrade. 

third, this 'renewal' will keep us in loop of any upgrade/release otherwise we stay put to use the last version of jira until the expiry date on our current license (old SEN) . of course, the server is still running, just not up to date. 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 3, 2018

The SEN will not be updated, only the license, which you paste in the license box.

If you do not renew maintenance , you will not be able to upgrade, even if you do it yourself. Your current Jira license will not let you do it.

I do not understand what you mean in the third question. If your maintenance is expired, then you are tied to the last installed version.

Sunny QA October 3, 2018

Thank you so much for your answers and your time to confirm my 3 points. All good! the 3rd one I got yours and Nic's.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events