Remove dependency on JSU

mark_gillespie July 11, 2019

We added JSU to our workflows when it was free, now it's paid, it's limiting our ability to upgrade to a version of JIRA that doesn't have critical vulnerabilities. 

Not particularly happy with the drugdealer tactics that beecom have done here, and want to be rid of their add-on.

Looking at the XML exports, the only thing we use in the whole add-on is:

com.googlecode.jsu.workflow.validator.FieldsRequiredValidator

We use this to inform the user a field is required (testing information)

Are there any free addons that supports latest JIRA that does similar functions?  Will a newer version of JIRA give us this?  (we are in 7.12)

Alternatively, anyone tried compiling the last opensource release of JSU against the latest JIRA SDK to create a "lite" supported fork that doesn't add new stuff, but remains supported.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2019

Hi Mark,

I see that you are looking stop using a paid plugin with Jira.  I can say that more recent versions of Jira do not add any additional workflow validation functions to the best of my knowledge.

I'm not certain there is a perfect replacement for you here, but I would suggest checking out the Workflow Enchancer for Jira.  Technically it's listed as unsupported by the vendor, but it is free.  So there is a trade off there.  Maybe its functions can be helpful to you here.   I was taking a quick peek at the documentation on the validators in https://tngtech-oss.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/JWFE/pages/5636098/Workflow+Enhancer+for+JIRA+Documentation#WorkflowEnhancerforJIRADocumentation-ValidatorsandConditions

And if feels like a regex could be used to check the value of the field in question in much the same way that I think the fieldrequiredvalidator would work, but I'm sure the syntax would be different when setting it up within Jira.

I hope this helps.

Andy

mark_gillespie July 13, 2019

It does look like this would work for us.  I will try it out. Thank you.

Like Andy Heinzer likes this
Michael Trostle August 2, 2019

Did the plugin Workflow Enhaner for JIRA work for you?

markgillespien August 30, 2019

Sadly, we don't have a full time administrators who look after JIRA/Bitbucket/Confluence/Bamboo.

Thankfully, they are very reliable and don't need much looking after, but we don't have the time to audit and update and test our workflows to use different plugins.   In the end, I found a updated version of the last OpenSource version of JSU that has the functions we use, and has been updated to work with newer JIRA versions.   This was enough for us.   We have learnt our lesson.  Don't rely on plugin authors like BeeCom, as they pulled the rug out from under us, and left us stuck on old versions of JIRA (despite paying Atlassian for support), because they wanted a cut of the upgrade cash.

Ideally if Beecom cared about their customers, they would maintain a Lite and a Full pay version of their plugin to stop end users getting stuck in this extortion scheme... 

markgillespien August 30, 2019

Here is the fork I used.  It appears to be working well, and showing me supported on even the latest JIRA versions.

https://github.com/guillaume-alvarez/jira-suite-utilities

Obviously, other people's mileage may vary, as we only used a couple of very basic features of JSU, which were in there before it became closed source, pay version.   If you are using features that aren't in the last Opensource version, then you are out of luck..

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer