Remaining time on Plan tab

Can I configure my Scrum board to show Remaining Time and not just the Estimated time on the Plan tab?

We are using GreenHopper plug-in.

8 answers

yea, I am really surprised this is not supported.

There is a feature request at JIRA Agile to support this:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-5794

It can use some more upvotes imo smile

1 vote
Richie Gee Atlassian Team Aug 23, 2013

Hi there,

I believe this is achievable by following the steps on this following documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+Estimation+and+Tracking#ConfiguringEstimationandTracking-EnablingTimeTracking

1. Select Agile > Manage Boards from the top navigation bar, then click the Configure link corresponding to the board of interest.
  2. Click the Estimation tab.
  3. In the Time Tracking field, select Remaining Estimate and Time Spent

Hope this is the answer you are looking for, cheers :)

This allows showing the remaining time in the Work tab. Cases in the Plan tab will still only show the original estimate. The total remaining time is shown for a planned sprint, but the individual cases show original estimate only.

Would like to be able to select remaining estimate as the estimation statistic.

I'd like to have this capability as well. We have a workaround for some teams (see the Quick Filter suggestion at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/207136/jira-agile-estimated-remaining-time-for-each-team-member-in-planning-or-work-board), but we have some teams with 10-12 members and the Quick Filter approach is pretty cumbersome at that scale.

The only workaround is implied by earlier comments: create a sprint and put the tasks that you care about into it, then look at the bottom to see what the remaining effort is. Click on each task to see its remaining in order to know what its contribution is.

This is really not-the-way-it-should-be!!

Is this something that Atlassian are going to support in the future? We tend to group the sub-tasks and estimate on them. These only get passed through to the main story as 'Remaining Estimate' rather than 'Original Estimate' - and if any time is added to the story itself it gets duplicated, causing the story to grow even larger.

Does anyone have any suggested workarounds?

Don't use sub-tasks. This is the workaround. There are too many ways in which they trip you up (estimates not showing on planning board, can't split them across sprints etc etc)

We really need this as well:
show for EACH issue in the backlog the original AND the remaining time.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Emilee Spencer
Published Friday in Marketplace Apps

Marketplace Spotlight: DeepAffects

Hello Atlassian Community! My name is Emilee, and I’m a Product Marketing Manager for the Marketplace team. Starting with this post, I'm kicking off a monthly series of Spotlights to highlight Ma...

56 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot