Rank Epics by priority in Epic Swinlane (Kanban)

Mike Prior May 10, 2017

I was wondering if it's possible to rank Epics, in a swinlane on a Kanban board? For example, the Highest Priority Epics, should be displayed above Medium. This filter is used Filter Queryproject = MYPROJECT BY Rank ASC, but the Epics are not listed by Priority

thanks

Mike

2 answers

2 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2017

Hi Mike,

The answer is partially in your question. As you correctly state, the filter of your board is ordered BY RANK. So not by priority.

So if you make sure you rank your epics (you could do this in backlog view of a scrum board or set up a kanban board with just your epics) by dragging them in the desired order, they will be shown in the correct order as swimlanes.

Debbie Mewes October 6, 2017

So how do I set up a kanban board with just my epics.?  I do not see how to do that anywhere.  Everything just points to looking at the epics in a the Epic list panel.

0 votes
Mike McGowan November 30, 2017

I had the same issue -- thanks Walter for pointing the direction.   For "dmewes", here is what I did to solve that problem.   

1. Write a query like the following "project = <projectname> AND issuetype = "Epic" AND <any other query params to get you just the Epics you wish to rank>
  2. Save the query as a filter
  3. Create a Kanban board based on the saved query from step 2.   You should see just Epics.    This board would only be used for ranking via drag & drop.
  4. Go to your original Kanban board to see the Epics listed in the same order.

Suggest an answer