REquired Field Hell

alvis_floyd_ngc_com
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 1, 2020

HI I have a jira project that consists of two screens.

the first screen is a customer screen and the second screen is a Admin screen.

The Admin screen have required fields the customer screen does not have required screen.

we can't save a input from the customer screen. the customer screen keeps asking for required fields from the Admin screen. we do not want to add the required fields to the customer screen. they would confuse our customers..

we have looked at the screen schema, and field configuration.  on the field configuration it states the field in in use on one screen the admin screen. but the customer screen requires the field.  

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2020

You are mixing up screens with field settings.  They are separate.

Start with the field configuration.  In here, you have said "make fields X, Y and Z mandatory".  Your people must enter data into them when creating them, and the fields cannot be blanked out during edit or transition (they must be filled for the process to proceed)

Note that in the paragraph above, I've not mentioned screens at all.

A screen is a list of fields to present to the user when they are doing something (create, edit, view or transition).  They have nothing to say about field behaviour, just that the field should be there.

You will either need to make the mandatory fields available to your users, or make them optional if you don't want to offer them to the users. 

There is no field security in Jira - you can't make a field mandatory by role, group or user, a field is either mandatory or it is not.

0 votes
Tony Rossiter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2020

@alvis_floyd_ngc_com 

Is it a service desk project?  Are we talking about 1 issue type or 2?  Also, when you say Customer Screen and Admin Screen, are you referring to the Service Desk portal where the customers input tickets vs the Service Desk Agent view of the project and tickets within it?

The answers to above will help narrow it down.  In the meantime, something else to check: 

Are the fields being required by the Request Type field settings?  If so and the fields are hidden from the customer view, this would cause what you're experiencing

alvis_floyd_ngc_com
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 6, 2020

its a process flow project the problem happens when we try to create a new issue

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events