Questions about Jira Customers

Jorge Mora February 12, 2018

Hi!

I'm Jorge and I have some questions. I hope you can answer.

1º- I have the Public Signup in JIRA Service Desk. Registered Customers are stored in JIRA Internal Directory. Is there a way to change where they are stored?

2º- Users using an SSO plugin can automatically log in to JIRA. But when you access the Customer Portal, you ask for your username and password. Would Crowd solve the problem?

Thanks!

Regards!

2 answers

0 votes
Christian Reichert (resolution)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2018

Hi @Jorge Mora,

you could look into some Single Sign On App's from the Marketplace. Some of them, like ours, allow some very granular configuration setting in regards to when to show Username/Password & when to login someone via SSO. The exact Details however depend very much on your environment.

For example a variety of our customers has a reverse proxy in front of external customer access - here something you can to with our Plugin for example is to use presence or absence of HTTP Headers to show a login prompt or redirect them for SSO.

Another common scenario used by our customers it to show a Popup like this:

"- I'm a customer and want to login with my Username/Password

- I'm an employee and want to use Single Sign On"

We then store that selection in a Cookie so that the User/Employee only has to select that once.

Other Plugins may have other Solutions as well.

Here are some links:

Also if you like to discuss your environment in more detail for recommendations, but don't want to do that in the Open here - feel free to open a support case with us: https://resolution.de/go/support

Cheers,
Christian

0 votes
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2018

Hi Jorge,

I'll give your questions a try:

1. Unfortunately as far as I know, there's no way to configure new JIRA Customers to be created in anything else than the JIRA Internal Directory. Where would you want them to be created anyway?
  2. Users known in Crowd (or any other User Directory) are able to login in the JIRA Service Desk portal as well. Unfortunately if you'd like to use both Crowd and another User Directory (fe.: JIRA Internal Directory) you'll have to disable SSO to be able to use Crowd to login to the portal as well. This is a known problem described in a Knowledge Base article.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Maarten

Suggest an answer