Question about to invite external users and if they count as a another licence

Felipe Tedeschi June 14, 2021

Hello Atlassian Community! 

how are you? 

I have a question about external users that we can invite to access our Jira Board

If i invite external users to access my Jira Boards, would that consider the using of another licence from my plan?

i'm using the Standard plan

Thank you =)

2 answers

1 accepted

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2022

Hello!

For everyone who gets to this thread, there are basically two options for users to access boards and other project details in Jira Software Cloud:

1. Restrict a specific set of users to access the projects. This is the default and recommended option, and will consume a license seat for each user invited
  2. .Open your project(s) for public access, allowing anyone on the internet to access your project(s). 

Explaining it better:

By default, Jira software projects (Both company and team-managed) are restricted to logged-in users, not mattering the plan you have (Standard, Premium, etc). In this case, only users with a valid license and the correct project permissions can access boards or any details inside the projects.

A different option that can be achieved on Standard and Premium plans is to set specific projects as Public. This action will open your projects to anyone on the internet and will not require a license, however, it'll not be possible to select only specific users to access those projects and edit its issue (all-or-nothing situation).

You can check the documentation below to know how you can configure a specific project as public:

Allow anonymous access to projects 

Additionally, there's also a Jira product called Jira Service Management (JSM) which is a tool your team can use to provide External customer Support. This Product allows the interaction of invited external users (Customers) with Jira issues without requiring a product license, although this is a limited view only restricted to issues and does not contain boards and other features related to Jira Software products.

Thanks!

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2021

Generally the answer is yes, if you are working with a Software or Work Management project. For Service Management projects, you can enable access for Customers without consuming additional licenses, but the access of a Customer is much more limited and they would not be able to view an agile board for the project.

What type of project are you working with; Work Management, Software, or Service Management?

Are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

Felipe Tedeschi June 15, 2021

Hello Trudy!
Thanks for take time to answer me.

i'm working with type: Company-managed software

So, does it change something by the type of project ?

Felipe Tedeschi June 15, 2021

just giving more details about the situation, 

they dont need have special access, i would like they just can move cards (storys, tasks, subtasks) on the board, comment and update status of cards

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2021

The method for managing access to and permissions for Company Managed projects differs from how they are managed for Team Managed projects.

Inviting a user to your JIRA system will consume another user license.

Marco Mangiante December 17, 2021

@Trudy Claspill with Team Managed project I can assign a user that don't have a license? Some of my colleagues need to view the state of the project but not create, edit or other similar operation on issues.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2021

@Marco Mangiante if you invite a user to your Jira instance it will consume a license. It doesn't matter if it is a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project.

Suggest an answer