Prune/Delete atlassian-jira.log

I added debugging today to examine email related issues, and my atlassian-jira.log grew to 33 GB (usually much much smaller) in size.  I have turned off the debugging, and the log has frozen in size, but I now I need to rather prune it dramatically, or delete it (allowing it to recreate).  How do I go about doing either of these things?  I tried to moved it to our storage drive, but as expected, it cannot move while in use.  I did not see any pruning options in the UI

Jira version 7.3.6

1 answer

0 votes

If you were on a Unix/Linux system, then you should just be able to move/delete this log file.  If you are using Windows, then it is possible that the JIRA/JAVA process running has a lock on the log file preventing you from moving it while JIRA is running.

To get around this you could try either of these steps:

1. Stop JIRA - from there you can then move/delete this file.  When you restart JIRA it will automatically create a new log
  2. You could try to go in to JIRA, Cog Icon -> System -> Logging and Profiling, and then select the "Log Rollover" checkbox and then click the "Mark" button below.  This will cause the log file to separate into a new file.

If you stop JIRA and still can't move this, then something else on the system has the lock on the file (most commonly a program like antivirus that would be trying to scan the file contents).

ironically the mark option split all the files save the one I needed.  I will stop the service off hourse I guess.  thank you

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Apr 22, 2018 in Jira Software

How-to setup a secured Jira Software 7.9.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 in less than 30 minutes

...PermissionsStartOnly=true User=www-data Group=www-data ExecStart=/opt/jira/bin/startup.sh ExecStop=/opt/jira/bin/shutdown.sh TimeoutStartSec=120 TimeoutStopSec=600 PrivateTmp=true [Install] WantedBy...

1,731 views 14 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you