Prompt for user to Log in

Lars G. Fredheim November 19, 2020

We have implemented a page in Confluence where we link to "Create issue" in a Jira-project. Server version - not cloud. User "anonymous" does not have access to this project, hence the user has to be logged in to Jira in order to create the issue.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have Jira to ask for “Log in” if a user who isn’t logged in uses the link?

As we have it now, the user get a list of projects where “anonymous” have access, followed by not finding the correct project and the issue will either not be filed or lost.

Wo do not wish to give “anonymous” access to this particular project in Jira.

Any suggestions?

2 answers

0 votes
Sergio Marcos Sendino January 11, 2024

I'm coming late but just in case it is useful for anyone as I've been looking for this too:

What I did to request login before creating the use is using the login form link (in jira server), adding the destination to the original link of creating the issue. An example:

So using both together it will look like:

http://jira:port/login.jsp?os_destination=http://jira:port/secure/CreateIssue.jspa?pid=00000%26issuetype=00000 

This will request the user to login first (if it's not yet).

In our case for this project its allowed to create the issue anonymously, but even so, it request to login first (of course it can be done anonymously with other URL, but it can be used to prevent users with account to not create this without logging)

Not sure if this was exactly the question, bur hope it helps :) 

0 votes
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2020

Hi @Lars G. Fredheim 

Welcome to the Community!

Does the link take people to your Help Center or to the Agent interface?

@Liam Green - thank you for replying!

The link takes the user to "Creae Issue" in a Jira project. Would that be the Agent Interface?

Our Jira admin have found the functionality we're looking for in Jira Cloud, but we're on the server version.

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2020

That sounds like the Agent interface - could you see if it is possible through portal instead?  You'd need to give users a Jira licence for them to use the interface.

It's interesting that the functionality you need is in Cloud - do you have a link to it?

All relevant users are licensed. The case is that they haven’t logged in when using the link on our Confluence page. If they click on “Log in” when in Jira all is OK. But I know that users have chosen wrong project and issues have to be searched for to be moved to the right project.

Here is link to the cloud functionality: https://fremtind.atlassian.net/secure/CreateIssue.jspa?pid=Test2&issuetype=15203 (In Norwegian though) The last sentence says that you have to be logged in in order to create an issue.

It might be that the Cloud functionality is a third praty plugin...

Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2020

If I'm honest, this is slightly beyond my expertise - hopefully one of the other Community members will be able to jump in and help

Like Lars G. Fredheim likes this
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2020
Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this

Thank you for pointing me in those directions. It is most appreciated. 

The first link seems to be very useful when working with documentation and elements of tjhe documantation are diectly useful for creating a spesific task in a Jira project.

For our needs this will unfortenulately not be a good way to solve it. And - my question is whether it is possible to force the user to log in in order to place the isue/task in the right project.

Suggest an answer