Project automation - comment on issue is not working for multiple comments

Andrew Lythgoe December 27, 2021

I've got an automation rule set up to comment on an issue every time the issue completes a transition.

The automation rule adds a comment on the first instance and subsequently does not add a comment, the audit log states:

'No new comment was added since this issue has been commented on before'

On the automation rule 'Comment on issue' screen, it states 'Prevent duplicates by only adding this comment once to a particular issue'.

From Google it looks like the 'Prevent duplicates by only adding this comment once to a particular issue' should have a checkbox to enable/disable it however I do not see the checkbox.

How can I disable the prevention of duplicate comments to allow my automaton script to add a comment every time a transition is completed?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2021

Hi Andrew,

So is your goal that the rule will add a comment to the issue every time it is transitioned to the Backlog? 

Hi John,

Yes that is correct, the requirements is to add a comment every time it is transitions to backlog and other statuses.  Currently i have it working only for the first transition.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2021

Are you using Automation For Jira Lite (Free)? or Pro version (Paid)?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2021

Regardless - I think I would go ahead and open a support tickets with Atlassian as to why the check box is not there. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Andrew Lythgoe December 28, 2021

Just wanted to update the thread incase anybody else experiences the same problem.  I found the checkbox was not displayed in any browser i tested with (Chrome, Internet Explorer or Firefox) however I was able to disable it by clicking where I thought the checkbox would be and then clicking save.

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2021

Hello @Andrew Lythgoe 

Welcome to the community!!
The option for preventing duplicates is preceded by a check box. If you wish to comment on the issue every time the transition is complete, I would suggest you uncheck the checkbox.

Kindly accept the answer if this helps.

Hi Gaurav,

Thanks for the quick response.

I don't see the checkbox to disable duplicates, see screenshot below:

Screenshot 2021-12-27 124049.jpg

Suggest an answer