Problems with Jira Automation

Alexander Berlin March 1, 2024

Hi. I would like to display original and remaining estimates in the backlog that considers the sum of estimations for all subtasks and display them for the parent task. Therefore, I created an automation. 

Screenshot 2024-03-01 161608.png

It actually does the job at least when you look at the ticket detail page.

Detail Screenshot 2024-03-01 161900.png

However, the backlog says something different and I tried things out for hours without getting it solved.

backlog Screenshot 2024-03-01 161759.png

Additionally, I couldn't find a way to sum up the logged time of the subtasks.

So, I would be grateful for any idea :-)

Thanks, 
Alex

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2024

Hi @Alexander Berlin -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Would you please show the configuration for your backlog fields, showing which fields are being displayed?

Also, when you set the time tracking fields in that issue edit action, I believe you need to specify the units of measure, such as m for minutes, after the smart value expression.

Kind regards,
Bill

Hi @Bill Sheboy , thanks a lot.

We configured the backlog to display original and remaining estimation.

IMG_0064.jpeg

The metric we are using is h. That’s why we devide the result of the equation by 3600 (seconds). I might add a smart value expression for the metric. Not sure it leads to a different result. Additionally, on the detail page the metric is added automatically. There, it would be redundant.

Or is there something I don’t see?

best regards,

Alexander

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2024

When you sum the original estimate to the parent issue field, and then show the Σ Original Estimate on the backlog, it is double-adding the values.

For example:

• the total for the Subtasks' Original Estimate is 110 hours
  • that value is set to the parent's Original Estimate field in the rule
  • and so the backlog displays 110 hours + 110 hours = 220 hours

If you want to show just the child sum, either disable the rule or show the Original Estimate in the backlog, and not the Σ Original Estimate.

Thanks @Bill Sheboy Bill. You cracked it. Awesome. It doesn't take any automation. I just had to modify the configuration for the backlog as you described. How simple is that :-)

Have a great weekend.

Best regards,
Alexander

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2024

Awesome; I am glad to learn that helped!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events