Problems importing data from csv file

Alvaro V July 9, 2018

Hello,

I am trying to import several issues to Jira, usign the csv import.

I use JIRA v7.5.1.

I have followed the article https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/importing-data-from-csv-776636762.html but it seems the functionality on my Jira version is not exactly the same.

For example:

- In the process of preparing the import, in the map fields step, I couldn't find the following Jira fields to map: Status, Resolution, Link type, Reporter, Attachments,

- In the Link field, it already proposes the type of link, and not all the link types are availalbe, as they are when creating a link normally in an issue.

Does anybody know why is this happening and how to map those fields?

Thank you

4 answers

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 9, 2018

Are you using the Creating issues using the CSV importer?  OR are you using the External system import?

They can both import issues via a CSV file, but they can have different options in regards to what fields can be mapped.  I suspect you're using the CSV importer here if you are limited the fields to select.   Try using the external system importer instead and see if that helps.

Alvaro V July 10, 2018

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your answer. Indeed, I am using the CSV importer. I am not administrator, so I am affraid I cannot use the External system import. I cannot find the Jira icon described in your link and the Settings link :(

Any other way to access the External system import?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2018

Afraid not.  The external system import is restricted to Jira Administrators.

Alvaro V July 11, 2018

Thank you Andrew... I work in a big organisation, so I am not sure how "easy" would be to get a Jira Administator role. Are there different grades of administrator? maybe at Project level? that way I guess it would be easy that I am granted with that role...

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2018

Jira does have different administrator levels: project administrators, Jira administrators, and Jira System Administrators that can be used to make rights control a bit more granular.   However you will find that the external system importer is something that is only accessible to the system administrator (the highest level), see Managing global permissions

0 votes
Sandra Meessen February 7, 2019

Hi all, I am having problems with the "External System Import" option:  when trying the import my CSV file (saved with the UTF-8 option) I don't get the list of fields to map to. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help.Field mapping.JPG

Claudiu Lionte
Atlassian Team
February 7, 2019

Hi Sandra,

Based on your screeenshot, it looks like the CSV contains ; (semicolon) as a column delimiter and Jira is configured to look for another delimiter. This is why the first row is considered one word. 

Please change either the CSV file's column delimiter or the configuration of the importer in Jira. To change the configuration of the importer in Jira, click on Advanced  and look for CSV Delimiter. The default is , (comma).

Claudiu

Sandra Meessen February 7, 2019

Hello Claudiu, Thank you for your quick and clear response, and you were completely right! 

0 votes
Alvaro V July 13, 2018

Hi again,

regarding attachments (if I manage to get temporary admin role), is there a way to attach files without uploading them to an htm address, but indicating a path from the local drive?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 13, 2018

You can import attachments via a CSV import.  However if you're not using a http/https address that your Cloud site can reach, you have to have those attachments be local to the Jira server, not local to your client machine.

I'd recommend the KB Importing attachments into JIRA Cloud applications using CSV files it explains a pair of methods you can follow in order to try to import these files via a CSV import.

Alvaro V July 25, 2018

Hi Andrew, thank you again for your answer.

I did followed the guide you mentioned. The links I want to create, are links to existing issues. The problem is that in the guide you referred, it's described that there is the option to indicate the type of link: "one column must be mapped as Issue ID and the other as the desired link type (e.g. "Link 'relates to'")" but in the practice, as you can see in the screenshot I attached before, the Link type is not an option in the dropdown list of available fields, just Link types (only one field for the issue to link and type of link, and with a reduced number of options, not all the available when creating a link in Jira). The screenshot I attached was from the CSV importer, but yesterday I tried another import from an account of a Jira admin, and using the External System Import, and the available fields to map, related to links were exactly the same...

Do you know if by any chance any plugin must be installed to have this functioanlity as described in the guide you mentioned? I use JIRA v7.5.1, and I understand by the disclaimer in the beginning of "How to Import Issue Links from a CSV File" the functionality should be included...

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2018

Hi Alvaro,

I think your comment to this answer is crossed with my reply from another answer on this thread.    But to answer your question, this functionality in the KB does exist for Jira 7.5.1.  It is part of the system plugin now for Jira, so all 7.x versions will have this.

I just tested this, it works when you're using the external system CSV importer.   But this won't work for the Bulk issue creation described in https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/creating-issues-using-the-csv-importer-861257331.html

The external system importer can be made to import issue links though.  If you don't have access to this, I don't see how you would be able to import this data using the bulk issue creation utility.

Alvaro V July 26, 2018

Sorry Andrew, yes, the answered is crossed (there was a page timeout and had to refresh, and maybe lost track).

I "got" access to the external system importer (I found the colleague with Sys Admin rights, and I guided him though the screens), but as said, everything looked the same, except that I got some more fields availale for mapping, but the link options to import were the ones in the screenshot above, and without the field Link type, to map... I'll keep checking and let you know if I find anything different

0 votes
Claudiu Lionte
Atlassian Team
July 9, 2018

Hi Alvaro,

The procedure you mentioned is for Jira Cloud. However, you mentioned that you are using Jira 7.5.1. 

I found the procedure for CSV impot for Jira 7.5 here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver075/importing-data-from-csv-935391529.html

Alvaro V July 9, 2018

Thank you so much Claudiu,

instructions are quite similar, and in this link it still states that it's possible to map Resolution, Status, Reporter and Attachments while when I try, these fields don't appear in the dropdown many for the mapping... :(

You can see the fields available (apart from the Custom fields, that are the ones that appear in the beginning of the dropdown menu)

Available Jira fields.JPG

Alvaro V July 24, 2018

Hi, it seems I've managed for a Jira admin to support the import of issues, so I'll use the External system import.

New question: If I want to import several Links in one issue, and each of them has a different typo of link, for example:

- Link1: 456

- Link 1 type: "causes"

- Link2: 789

- Link 2 type: "is caused by"

will jira just take the order in the CSV file to match the link and link type?

Alvaro V July 24, 2018

Bad news, I scheduled a session with the Jira admin, to proceed with the Administration > System > Import & Export > External System Import. There is no option to map the Link type, and Link field can only be mapped to the ones displayed in the screenshot I previously uploaded. On the other side, the field Status and other fields I didn't have available before were there to be mapped.

Why this Link type field is not available?

If I cannot import the link field properly, it's going to cost a lot of work to have it properly, manually

As stated before I use  JIRA v7.5.1

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
July 25, 2018

There is a different process to follow specifically for importing issue links.  I would recommend that you first import all the issues you need, and then do the issue linking.  Otherwise Jira can't create the issue links correctly if both issues are not currently in existence at the time of this import. Please see the KB guide How to Import Issue Links from a CSV File

Suggest an answer