Portfolio Hierarchy missing issue type

Aiden Marriott - Netcompany_com
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 23, 2019

I am trying to set up a SAFe style hieracy in Portfolio for Jira of EPIC>Feature>Story.  It looks like that isn't possible without modifying the in-built Epic issue type to be a feature.  I was hoping in the interim to at least make Epic & Feature at the same level in the portfolio however when I attempt to do this every issue type apart from feature appears in the drop down (yes i have scrolled up and down :) )

Issue Type:

Feature Issue Type.png

Portfolio hierarchy options:

Hierachy Drop Down 1.pngHierachy Drop Down 2.png

1 answer

0 votes
Bryan McMillan July 23, 2019

Please take a look at the Epic to Feature Translator on the Atlassian Market Place.  Due to the way Jira Software is architected, you cannot simply just rename Epic to Feature in the backend of the tool without breaking it.  So, the Epic to Feature Translator App fixes that in the backend so that you can implement your hierarchy somewhat.  Just know that you cannot reuse the word 'Epic' again as this is still very reserved by Jira.  You can implement it like Portfolio Epic -> Feature -> Story -> Sub-Task.

Regards,

Bryan McMillan

Cprime Solutions Architect

Aiden Marriott - Netcompany_com
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 23, 2019

"You can implement it like Portfolio Epic -> Feature -> Story -> Sub-Task"....  can i though?  For some reason my feature issue type won't appear in portfolio even though all my other new issue types do...

Bryan McMillan July 23, 2019

Aiden,

The problem that you are experiencing is that a Feature you have defined in your Jira instance is technically at the same level as the Story.  Epics are very special Issue Types in Jira Software having additional characteristics such as Epic Name, Epic Link, Epic Color, and Epic Status.  No other Issue Type in Jira Software has these attributes and you cannot copy an Epic and attributes to make another Epic Issue Type.  Given this set of circumstances, you can create another level in the hierarchy called Feature and manual move it just below Epic and above Story.  Just keep in mind that your Feature as it is right now will not inherit any of the characteristics of an Epic as that stuff still remains with the Epic.

Regards,

Bryan

Suggest an answer