Please advise on how to import project issues

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2018

Hi,

I know there are multiple topics about this but I want to be sure to grasp all the solutions.

I need to import a Jira software project from instance 1 (6.4.7) to instance 2 (7.12.3).

Requirements :

• Custom mapping is needed (i.e. custom fields, issue types and workflows).
  • Attachments being migrated is a big plus.
  • Around 3000 issues to be migrated.

Here are the solutions I have come up with :

• Export / import project with Project Configurator plugin. Then move the issues to target project. Might lose information from custom fields if they are not presnet in target project. Requires to upgrade instance 1 to 7.12.3, which I do not know if compatible with 6.4.7.
  • Export instance 1 jira backup and isolate source project part. Then edit mapping of custom fields and issue types. Might be really touchy but would avoid the hassle of upgrading.
  • Export / Import issues in CSV. Need to rework the file to map fields. Losing the attachments in the process.
  • Using custom development that can be found here. I cannot test it yet since I am waiting for security team to allow python installation.

According to me the best solution would be solution 1, that can be re-used after upgrade for other projects and everything is happening in a nice UI. Solution 3 might be considered as well if I can keep data integrity.

Any insight is well appreciated.

Antoine

0 answers

Suggest an answer