Password reset mail not received, hosted on Amazon EC2 - how to connect to SES?

Corey Fruitman September 21, 2018

I have an instance of Jira hosted on EC2. I'm not receiving emails (specifically for password reset). How do I connect Jira to SES?

2 answers

2 votes
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2018

Hi @Corey Fruitman, you connect Jira to SES via SMTP similar to how you would do this for other mail providers. The entire process is conceptually covered in Using the Amazon SES SMTP Interface to Send Email, and the sub-topic Sending Email Through Amazon SES From Software Packages includes a Jira specific example by chance (albeit based on an older Jira version).

So the three main steps are:

1. Decide on the desired SMTP endpoint and port as discussed in Connecting to the Amazon SES SMTP Endpoint
  2. Generate a new use-case specific password as discussed in Obtaining Your Amazon SES SMTP Credentials
  3. Configure 1 and 2 within Jira as discussed in Sending Email Through Amazon SES From Software Packages
Corey Fruitman September 25, 2018

I'm not able to login to Jira to configure the SMTP. I've restored from backup. I have to do this from the back end so that I can reset my password and get access to the dashboard. Is there a way to set up SMTP (using AWS SES if that matters) via SSH or some other mechanism that doesn't require login?

1 vote
Deleted user September 23, 2018

Hi @Corey Fruitman, could you share a few more information what you already tried? Because for AWS SES you first have to remove your account from the SES sandbox by filling out a support ticket, like explained here: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/request-production-access.html Could this be your problem?

Corey Fruitman September 24, 2018

I'm not aware of  how to point Jira to SES to do the mailing in the first place. SES is unsandboxed. How do I connect Jira to SES?

Suggest an answer