Optimal NGINX Rate limit for Jira server

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2019

Hi Community!

Our Jira instance runs behind a reverse NGINX proxy and I would like to use the NGINX Rate limiting setting to reduce the maximum number of Jira REST queries over overload. Do you have any real experience how much limit to set up for trouble-free work?

Thank you very much

Pavel

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Lady Di
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 16, 2019

Hi, Pavel, с английским беда, но попробую.

There is no single recipe.

It is well known that the speed of Jira depends on:

- Server power on which Jira is installed
- Jira version. Jira 8 is much faster than Jira 5,6,7, especially if your instance is big enough.
- Culture calls to REST API. Teach users to request only those custom fields that are really needed (&fields = customfield_12345) this will greatly speed up the service response time, as well as ease the load on it. Begin to monitor everything you give on BASEUSRL/rest/ *. So you will understand what requests are executed longer than necessary, it’s not hard to find the source of the problems with perfomance or to set the correct rate limit for nginx.

UPD

Well, I answer the original question:
We have
limit_req_zone $ binary_remote_addr zone = api: 10m rate = 1r / s;
We constantly change it according to the situation. Some time ago we also encountered the problem that our users stably put down the service with low-quality requests to rest and to soap.

Pavel Junek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2019

Hi Atlasteam,

Thank you very much for your respond!

I know it's just hard to determine the correct NGINX Rate limit is. We have Jira 7.11 and we plan to upgrade to 8.x.

Once it happened to us that the user had misconfigured communication through the REST API and make PUT a new comment several times in succession for about 10 minutes. Jira on PROD was subsequently overloaded and must be restarted.

I would like use NGINX Rate Limit to prevent this unexpected behavior in the future. At the same time, I do not want a low Rate limit to restrict users.

Pavel

Lady Di
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 16, 2019

Try to use Kibana. It helped us a lot in analyzing problems, including in setting the correct rate limit. img-2019-07-16-18-20-58.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events