On the completing sprint some issues goes into backlog

Sergiy Churzin March 29, 2024

Hi, my name is Sergiy.

My company has 3 project managers. We find a problem with completing sprints.

Every time when I complete sprint - it doesn`t let me close it until I go to the each ussue in each project, which have any uncompleted subtasks and move them to next sprint by hand. But this is not the problem itself - this still let us to manage uncompleted issues.

The problem happens when any other project manager try to complete sprint. They do exectly the same as I do - they see a list of issues, which have uncompleted subtasks, they move it to the next sprint and then they completed sprint.

BUT - they dont see full list of issues with uncompleted subtasks from all our projects. So, they cant move issues from 2-3 projects to the next sprint and those issues drop to the backlog.

I already checked all process of completing the sprint - they do the same as I do. Than I checked Groups - all PMs have the same groups setted. Than I cheked Permission of the projects - all PMs have the same permissions for the issues and sprints in all projects.

Now I am trying to understand, what else can I check to find any difference between PMs account (permissions or smth) in order to find reason of this behaviour.

I will appreciate any advice or even screenshots what and where I can check something more.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sergiy Churzin April 1, 2024

Well, the problem was in the fact, that some PMs could see all tasks and others - not all of them.

We investige it farther and find out, that in case, when you have multiple boards with same tasks (one with all tasks and other splitted by projects), you need to close spring from the board, wich contains all tasks from all projects.

If you try to close sprint not from main board - you can only manage those tasks, with represented on current board, and other tasks will just drops into the backlog. 

We will check if it solves the problem entirely and I will give a total result here.

Thanks for the tip, Matt, you game me rough idea to where we can find the problem itself) 

0 votes
Sergiy Churzin April 9, 2024

Yes, as I said earlier, the problem was laying in the fact, that we have few boards and one accumulating board, where you can see all tasks from all projects.

IF you close sprint not from accumulating board but from board of current project, THAN you can move ONLY tasks from that project to the next sprint, and other tasks will drop to the backlog.

So if you have accumulating bord - close sprints from that board only.

0 votes
Matt Parks
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2024

I only use Data Center, so I can't confirm if sprint boards behave the same way, but this is what I see when completing sprints.

• If there are any items that are in a status mapped to the far-right column of the board, these are considered to be completed. If any of them have sub-tasks which are in a status that is NOT mapped to the far-right column of the board, you will get an error and have to fix close the sub-tasks or remove the work item from the sprint before it can be successfully completed
  • If there are any non-completed work items, whether they have completed or open sub-tasks (or no sub-tasks) Jira will ask whether you want to move those work items to the Backlog, an already created future sprint, or to create a new sprint for those items.

It sounds like you're saying that, when some of the PMs are looking at the sprint board, they don't see all of the stories that you do. If this is the case, then there is something on the project permission scheme or perhaps an issue security scheme that is preventing them from seeing those issues. I would have the PMs run the same query from the board in an Issue Navigator window and see if they get the same list of issues that you get. If not, then look at the specific issues which you can see that they can't to determine if there is any common denominator across the non-viewable issues.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events